Barbara Stanley
Barbara Stanley
  • Hendersonville, NC

My Potting Shed, AKA Crickhollow Cottage

My husband and I turned a basic child's playhouse into my potting shed and MY playhouse, using recycled and re-purposed treasures collected from thrift stores and rescued from being destined for the landfill. We added the picket fence railing and bridge, rose topiary-themed shutters, and an octagon window. The inside is paneled in bead board, with an antique tin ceiling found at a Habitat ReStore in Charleston, SC. The potting bench is a galvanized baker's center with a butcher-block counter taken out of a local school during demolition of the cafeteria.
My potting shed during my favorite season! We live in the Blue Ridge mountains on a wooded 25 acre property.
A fall view of Crickhollow cottage, with the Kwanzan cherry tree in all its splendor.
An early May view, with pinks and astilbe
This photo won the Mother Earth News magazine's Great Garden Shed show-off contest. I won a $500 gift card to Lee Valley Tools and the pic was published in the March 2012 issue.

• Liz Wolf

I'm a writer working on an article on She Sheds. Could I interview you and use photos of your cool space? It's for the SpareFoot Blog. thanks, Liz Wolf

• Barbara Stanley

I'd be happy to talk with you and share photos. Let me know how you wish to proceed. Barbara

• Liz Wolf

Wonderful. How about a phone call on Friday? I'm open between 10:30 and 2 p.m. CST. Would that work? If so, please pick a time. Best, Liz

• Barbara Stanley

How about 10:45 CST? If you will give me your e-mail address I will send you some information that might facilitate the interview as well as my phone #. Looking forward to talking with you! Barbara

• Liz Wolf

That works perfect. I, too, am looking forward to the call. Please include a phone number where I can reach you at in the email: wolfliz99@aol.com thanks! Liz

• Liz Wolf

Is there anyway you can email me photos today so I can pass them on to the editor? Thanks!

• Liz Wolf

what is your number?

• Liz Wolf

I didn't receive an email from you yet.

• Liz Wolf

I hope we are still on for our call at 10:45 CST today!

• Barbara Stanley

So sorry that I didn't see these messages. I usually get notifications in my e-mail when I have a message but not with these. All's well that ends well!

• Liz Wolf

Absolutely. And I can't believe your email landed in my Spam folder!

• Bryan Adler

Do you have plans for the original playhouse? I would love to build this for my daughter.
    • Barbara Stanley

Bryan, you daughter is very fortunate to have such a loving and ambitious father! I'm afraid that I can't give you plans, as we bought the playhouse from an Amish company many years ago. We added a lot of details, interior and exterior, but did not build the basic structure. I hope you find some plans that you like!

• S. Cherry

I love your garden shed. I have another issue with a cracked vinyl wicker chair. How can I repair it? And remove discoloration. Thank you. Susi

• Tina Gary Carter

My lil shed
    , I am currently repainting remodeling it It used to be a playhouse that was built to match our house in early 1900s
    • Barbara Stanley

That is so adorable! I love the colors, and the spreader container planter is great! Thanks for showing me, and I hope you'll post it when you finish remodeling.

• Deborah J Ellenburg

This is the prettiest little romantic she shed I have ever seen. And those tulips!! This whole little place is to die for! Way to go!!!