What do you think are causing these divots all over my lawn?

+28
They look like a Tablespoonful is being dug out! I'm attaching 2 photos the one with orange is me covering the divots with Cayenne pepper to keep away... Cats maybe?
q what do you think are causing these divots all over my lawn
with my addition of Cayenne pepper

• D roach D roach on Sep 18, 2017
    do you have deer nearby? could be hoof prints in soft earth
  • Ionne (i-own) Ionne (i-own) on Sep 18, 2017
    A flock of crows made holes like this in my front yard.
  • Gau1220263 Gau1220263 on Sep 18, 2017
    Armadillos
  • Susan Susan on Sep 18, 2017
    It could be Cicadas. If you are hearing a lot of whirring noise in the evening, they just crawled out of your lawn.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 18, 2017
    Skunks digging up grubs perhaps.
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Sep 18, 2017
    Could be squirrels digging up their nuts.. Chipmunks maybe?
  • Johnchip Johnchip on Sep 19, 2017
    If it is moles or other vermin infestation, pour a bit of gas in the hole, the fumes will penetrate the tunnels. Light a match. Even if not, the fumes and fire will make any other vermin stay away.
  • Michael Soule Michael Soule on Sep 19, 2017
    Armadillos or skunks are something I would vote for. I have the same type of holes in my yard, Armadillos come during darkness looking for grubs, they have very sensitive sense of smell and can go right to their favorite food. The only way I have been able to get rid of them is sit a trap, when you catch one you have two choices, shoot it or carry it into the forest a good distance away from your property and release it. Take you pick, at any rate they are difficult to get rid of.
  • Mary Mary on Sep 19, 2017
    looks like holes in my yard, very wet from rain, hubby said it was crawdads,neighbors found them too..
  • Luvflowers Luvflowers on Sep 19, 2017
    Moles, voles put garlic in the holes. You will begin to notice them making tunnels and moving around. Treat your yard for grubs, that is what they are after.
  • Lois Vrns Lois Vrns on Sep 19, 2017
    I concur with the grub responses

• Michelle Webster Michelle Webster on Sep 19, 2017
    I use coyote urine I bought. it comes in a spray and I just spray the holes

• Judy Judy on Sep 19, 2017
    Could be skunks. Found similar holes in my yard after watching 4 of them digging around. Also, could be after grubs.
  • Woody Wood Woody Wood on Sep 19, 2017
    Armadillo for sure!
  • Lou Lou on Sep 19, 2017
    Armadillo's are the likely culprit.
  • Marcy Murdock Marcy Murdock on Sep 21, 2017
    Moles do that in my area
  • Sue Sue on Sep 22, 2017
    We had a similar problem. It turned out to be skunks and raccoons digging for grubs. You need to check your lawn for areas where grass pulls away easily or looks like its drying out. This is because grubs eat the roots of grass. Your local garden center, Home Depot or Lowe's will have a grub killer you can use to kill them off.
  • Linda Linda on Sep 22, 2017
    Squirrels do this to our yard. No Amadillos in Northern Illinois.
  • Kelleysgirl Kelleysgirl on Sep 23, 2017
    My dog does this digging for grubs.
  • MahtaMouse MahtaMouse on Sep 27, 2017
    Do you have squirrels? "My" squirrels do this all the time. I've watched them very neatly bury their nuts, pulling the sod back over their treasure and patting it down with their little hands so you can't even see the evidence. Oh but when it comes time to dig them back up it's another story... the little suckers just go to town like fiendish little puppies, leaving me with little divots all over the place!
  • Christopher Durant Christopher Durant on Oct 19, 2019

Small divots are made by corvids looking for worms and grubs. This is in England in the autumn.