Apple Baskets Turned Fall Planters

$20

I am not a fan of the boring generic hanging baskets for flowers, so I am always looking for different things that can be used. My inspiration came from these two baskets I found used for picking apples.

DIY Fall Hanging Planter

After I determined that I was going to use the apple baskets, I gathered my supplies.

Materials

Tools and Supplies

• two baskets
  • Art mind outdoor paint
  • paintbrush
  • rope
  • fall mums
  • staple gun

Paint the Baskets

Paint the Baskets

Next step is to paint the baskets. I used Poppy Red by Art minds from Michaels. This is an outdoor paint.

Add Rope

Add Rope

Next step is to add the rope, I had these door hangers which I purchased from Dollarama and decided to use these also.

Center the Door Hanger

Center the Door Hanger

I took the door hanger and centered it in the middle of my basket and using a pencil just marked where it would go. Next I took the rope and using a staple gun stapled the rope on one of the pencil marks. I wrapped the rope around the basket to where my other mark was then cut the rope to this length. I then used my hot glue gun to secure the rope around the basket and added a few staples in case the glue let go.

Add Flower

Add Flower

Next using the staple gun I stapled the door hanger in the middle between the rope.

Next step was to transfer my mums into the baskets. I used plastic bags and planted them inside of the bag to prevent the basket from water damage.

Hang

Hang

Using the rope I tied it on either side of the handle on the basket so my baskets could hang from the hooks.

Here they are finished. I love how they turned out, and I can't wait for my mums to bloom.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home

• Karen k
    Karen k

What size are the apple baskets?
  • Deb374439
    Deb374439

They are gorgeous! Did you waterproof the outside of the baskets at all, or does the outdoor paint serve that purpose? Thanks!
  • Karen k
    Karen k

What size rope did you use and how many containers of paint did you use? I am going to make 2 of these. Love this idea.
    • Melanie
      Melanie

Hi Karen, the rope is about half an inch, and the paint comes in an 8oz container. I only did two coats and used only a quarter of the container.
  • Minta B
    Minta B

Love it!! I was wondering do you have a tutorial on any Halloween planters?
    • Melanie
      Melanie

Sorry I don't as of yet, give me a week and I will see what I can come up with and post it!
  • Sandy
    Sandy

Beautiful. I have a peach basket something like your apple basket BUT I painted it and it looks great, unfortunately I put on the floor, during one of our storms here in Pensacola FL and kicked it and cracked one of the slats. Do you know of any where you can buy the thin pieces of wood slats?
  • Brenda Marshall Racine
    Brenda Marshall Racine

What about drainage?
    • Melanie
      Melanie

The bottom of the baskets where the wood slats overlap there is spaces so the water drains through that.
    • Brenda Marshall Racine
      Brenda Marshall Racine

Do you take plants out of pots and put in plastic bags? Do you cut some drainage holes in the bags?

• Melanie
      Melanie

Yes I took the plants out of the pots, but you don't have to, and I just used a grocery bag to line the baskets with.
  • Pjk19552057
    Pjk19552057

Where did you get your three hook shepherd hook?
  • RF
    RF

They turned out fantastic...I would like to know what is the lightbulb that is also hanging on the pole ?
    • Melanie
      Melanie

Thank you! That is a solar light. I bought them at Home Depot. They have a tiny string of lights that hang down inside the bulb.
    • Es
      Es

Can you find the light bulb online? I'm trying to get the light bulb also but I do not see it online. Thank you in advance for your help.
    • Melanie
      Melanie

I have only seen these solar lights at 3 stores. Home Depot, Jysk, and a Country store.
    • Melanie
      Melanie

For anyone looking for the solar lightbulb check out AliExpress.com Hanging Solar Led light bulb. Sells for $3.90
    • Marian
      Marian

Dollar store solar light

• Charlene Flint
    Charlene Flint

This is such a cute idea. It will look great in our country setting!

I am really into mason jar decor. What is the mason jar with what looks like a chimney on top? And where can I purchase one?

• Melanie
      Melanie

It's a solar light I made. The top is an old metal like strainer used for canning. I used a mason jar, part of an old solar light and this .

• Lisas Rexstar
    Lisas Rexstar

What is that on the brick wall behind the baskets? It's lovely. Did you make it?

• Teresa Laintz Wallace
      Teresa Laintz Wallace

it’s a house

• Monique
      Monique

There is nothing on the brick wall.....it's the mason jar hanging from one of the hooks!!! Look carefully & you'll understand!!

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Monique, try NOT to be so harsh. Some people may be viewing this post on a CELL PHONE OR SMALLER TABLET and NOT a computer screen. That would make it harder to see. If you know please just tell.

• Photo 3 has a wall medallion of some sort. Very Pretty! Good eye! Hopefully the author of the post will explain.

• Ellen
      Ellen

Look at the third pic.

• Melanie
      Melanie

It is a wall medallion in photo 3 behind the baskets attached to my brick house.

• Melanie
      Melanie

Can't take credit for making it though!