How do I get rust off of this dog tie out?

+11
This tie out has been outside way to long! The clips have rusted so bad that I can't open them anymore. Any suggestions?
q how do i get rust off of this dog tie out
  • Terry Clifton Smith Terry Clifton Smith on Sep 19, 2017
    Spray with WD40 and let it sit overnight.
  • Leslie Leslie on Sep 19, 2017
    Best bet is to soak them in CLR. Calcium, Lyme and Rust remover. You might need to scrub them a bit. After they are cleaned up spray them with some WD40.
  • Peggy Williamson Preston Peggy Williamson Preston on Sep 19, 2017
    WD40
  • Sue Bellino DeBlasio Sue Bellino DeBlasio on Sep 19, 2017
    try wd40
  • NancyMaria NancyMaria on Sep 19, 2017
    soak in some motor oil of even veggie oil, just something to loosen it up, then scrub with sos pads.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 19, 2017
    agreed wd40
  • Scott Sidler Scott Sidler on Sep 23, 2017
    Go to the paint store and grab some Ospho. Let just the metal part soak in the ospho for a few minutes to a couple hours depending on how heavy the rust is.
  • Maggie Passaro Maggie Passaro on Sep 23, 2017
    I use a product called PB blaster , it's in the same area as wd40, but even better, they make a few different formulas, but the labels will guide you . I still keep wd40 for general purpose but rusted metal the blaster is best.
  • Susan Susan on Sep 23, 2017
    Much, much cheaper to use good old vinegar. Soak it in vinegar for as long as it takes to remove the rust. Change the vinegar as needed. I've revived several rusted, vintage hand tools with vinegar. I'm told that cola drinks will do the same thing.
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY TAMMY SPALSBURY on Sep 23, 2017
    Put it in a glass that your not going to ever use hang it in the glass and cover it with peroxide. then throw the glass out.
  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 23, 2017
    Naval jelly will get it off, then use some oil to protect it.
  • Kba27697237 Kba27697237 on Sep 24, 2017
    Replace with a good quality brass clip. They don't rust . I have had them outdoors for years - no rust...
  • Emma Emma on Jun 04, 2021

what if i need it done today?