Becky at Flipping the Flip
Becky at Flipping the Flip
  • Chicago, IL

Ugly Tile Cover Up

$26
1 Day

Cover up some ugly tiles cheaply and easily!
ugly tile cover up
Ok, so at the bottom of our back stair, pretty much our most active in & out of the house area and a total train wreck (please, I know it's a disaster, I'm working on it), were some ugly tiles. On top of that, they're not level, they're all askew, and I didn't like them.
ugly tile cover up
Seriously, I know, it's a massive mess. Hey, husband + dog + backyard right at the back door? It's gonna get messy. Moving on....as you can see here, the flipper we bought from used door casing as baseboard. Likely because anything taller and the in-swinging door would not open.

So all around, this area needs help desperately.

Be sure to swing on by my blog, Flipping the Flip, for more on this story and a whole slew of other great projects!
ugly tile cover up
Enter a twenty buck bag of skim coat concrete to save the day. I bought it for this project but also used a small amount on a concrete tissue box cover.

My floor area was about nine square feet which one bag would cover up to about a half inch thick. Perfect!

Now, I'm sure you've seen this skim coat concrete before on counters and other floors. Do note that if you use this in skim layers, it won't hold up in high traffic areas but as I was layering thickly, I figured I had a great chance.

So mix it up in a large bucket, scoop it out, plop it down, and smooth smooth smooth with a smooth edge trowel.
ugly tile cover up
This stuff starts to set up right quick so work fast but also if you're doing a larger area, you may have to do it in batches.
ugly tile cover up
The concrete dried in under an hour (woo hoo!) and the directions direct you to sand the surface within twenty four hours. Dutifully, as I did not get the material perfectly smooth the first go around, I did sand a bit.

It's still not super smooth and perfect but I'm ok with that.
ugly tile cover up
Two coats of mineral oil.....
ugly tile cover up
Some concrete sealer and then carnauba car wax buffed all nice over the entire thing......
ugly tile cover up
The dog pretending to be helpful plopping his big ol' butt right on the floor.....
ugly tile cover up
And the project is complete! Ugly tiles gone! Cool industrial-ish easy to clean concrete floor in its place for cheap! Yay, perfect!

This post also contains an update to my wood look peel and stick vinyl tile project so be sure to come on by for both stories! Click the link below for all the info.
Becky at Flipping the Flip