Make a Christmas Kissing Ball

$40

A kissing ball is a fun holiday decoration that can add to your Christmas decor. Kissing balls can be made to coordinate with any of other decorations and can be made in fresh greens or artificial. I will show you how to make an artificial kissing ball you can display throughout the holiday season.
I am sharing all of the directions for how to make this kissing ball today, but the really exciting part of this craft project is that I will be leading a Facebook LIVE Group Project on October 13th.  You can order your supplies from the list below and then tune into Hometalk on Facebook on Friday, October 13th at 1:00 PM Eastern Time and follow along step by step as we make this project!  I will be LIVE so I can answer any questions as we make this together!
 Take your ribbon and wrap it around the ball, securing the ribbon with a spot of hot glue on the bottom of the ball.  Wrap the ribbon around to the top and tie it in a secure knot.  Take a second, longer piece of ribbon, the length you will want to hang your kissing ball.  Feed the longer ribbon under the knot and tie it around the knot.  
 Time to begin using the hot glue to attach the pinecones to the Styrofoam balls.  Hold them in place until the glue has dried and the pinecones are secure.  
Continue to move around your ball gluing the pinecones as close together as you they can easily fit together.  
When you have gone all the way around your ball will look like this above.  
These are the spaces you will have between the pinecones.  Do not be concerned if some of the spots appear large, you won’t see them at all as you complete your kissing ball.
Take your green pine sprays and cut each of the tips off of the stem.  Cut each of these tips into 3 or 4 shorter tips.  
Apply a little hot glue to the end of your tiny pieces and push them down between the pinecones where you have white space showing.  
The green arrow shows where I have tied the hanging ribbon onto the ribbon around the kissing ball for hanging it for display later.  I will fill this white space with the pine tips right up around the ribbon.
Your kissing ball will be coming together as you work all around the ball until you have filled all of the empty spots between the pinecones.
Pull each tip of the holly off of the stem where the blue arrow is.  
Take each tip of the sparkling holly spray and cut it into small pieces with the wire cutters, as shown above.  Each little tip will give you one sprig with berries and two with just leaves.  Glue these onto your ball in a random pattern.  After you have added all of your holly pieces, pick all of the hot glue strings off of your ball so it will be ready to display.
…and your Christmas Kissing Ball is ready to hang, display and enjoy!   I hope you will join me on October 13th on Hometalk’s Facebook LIVE to make this pretty project together!  Make sure you order your supplies right away, so you have them in time to join in our LIVE Group Project! You can see more details and ask me questions at Celebrate & Decorate!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Chloe Crabtree

• Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

I've used mine for 40 years, and it's still going strong. But where is the mistletoe?
  • Melodi Whitaker

This is a silly question, lol...but I am so curious as to what the finished ball is hanging from? It looks so cool!!
    And the ball is so pretty! I’m going to make it and add fairy lights. I will cut out a square the size of the battery pack on top so it is recessed, hold it in with strips of ribbon held with push pins and then cover it with a large bow.

Thanks for the great tutorial!
  • Wil17881032

Can you use lights that have a battery pack
    • Berniece Cronquist

I would think you could but you’d have a fairly heavy battery case to deal with. It would be very cute though.

• Lynn Paterson

I would love to see a full picture of your antler shandelier its hanging on ! ;-)

• Patti Swetka

I LOVE this! (Especially the pine cones! I have a thing for them ❤️)

One thing I’d recommend after making this kissing ball is to add bits of fresh greenery when you hang it up. Adding just a small amount of real greenery makes items like these come to life. I just make sure to discard all the greenery I added before packing away for next year.