Burlap Fall/Autumn/Halloween Wreath

$20

I saw someone else post a similar burlap wreath. I was shopping at Walmart and thought, I can do this... I must admit you can buy premade ones for almost the same price, but who wants that?!?
All supplies were bought at Walmart. And took about an hour to put it all together.
This is all you need... 3 rolls of burlap. I decided to make more of a fall wreath vs Halloween. Floral wire, bouquet of fall flowers and metal wreath. Many sizes to choose from I went with the biggest for $3.76. (In the picture you will see fuzzy covered wire black, but I ended up thinking they were harder to use and I should not have bought black. As it would show too much with my colors). Floral wire worked great and easy to use. Cut with regular scissor.
To make things easier, I used my cutter vs scissors.
I cut them in 5" pieces... and used the whole rolls for my wreath.
Then take one of each color, roll then put floral wire tied in the middle of them to hold together.
Then staggered on the wreath. Top 2 then next one bottom 2. And I would reverse the colors...
Keep doing this step the whole way around the wreath. I believe it was 45 bunches of 3 total For this wreath.
Here is the wreath just with the burlap done.
I took the bouquet of flowers and cut off the flowers with about an inch of stem. Then twisted the stem around the wire wreath. alternating flowers to make the perfect design.
Then took the scarecrow and used the floral wire to help keep him in place. Wire through each arm and legs should keep him steady outside in the elements.
what the back of the wreath looks like while hung on my front door.
Finished product on my front door.
Easy to do but looks like a million bucks!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/FloraCraft-SimpleStyle-Wreath-Green-Gauge/dp/B00BTDBLE6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507279749&sr=8-3&keywords=Metal+wreath&_encoding=UTF8&tag=knelso-18creator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=e104c4888a331e7fd161c7c14ddca604&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Metal wreath</a>  (Walmart or Amazon)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/ARCCI-Decorations-Christmas-Ornaments-Wrapping/dp/B071P1V28J/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1507279835&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=rolls+burlap&psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=knelso-18creator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=cd9433eb03da9d6d34ab1bd135c5ee75&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">3 rolls burlap (all different colors)</a>  (Walmart or Amazon)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Paddle-Wire-22-Gauge-Green/dp/B001K7QAYM/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1507279890&sr=1-4&keywords=Floral+wire&_encoding=UTF8&tag=knelso-18creator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=8bf4009cba212d44eee56c532b60343d&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Floral wire</a>  (Walmart or Amazon)

• Sherry Spangler

This is beautiful! I see you used the floral wire to hold the bunches together, did you use the same one to attach it to the frame?
  • Sherry Spangler

How did you attach the bunches to the frame?

• Victoria Atkinson

What is the size of Burlap used?
    • Knelso18

I used 5" wide burlap and cut in 5" strips...
  • Divababiexoxo

I love this. I've never made a wreath before. You did great. Very pretty! Did you hot glue the burlap pieces onto the wire, so they don't pop out?
    • Knelso18

Nope no hot glue on the burlap. No hot glue at all actually. Just floral wire... and they are twisted and bunches in there, no popping out.
  • Dawn Marie Brownlow

How did you put it on the ring?
    • Vikki

Floral wire
    • Linda Sikut

She said she wired it, but I'll be you could hot glue some of it if you want to do that, especially the flowers and the scarecrow.
  • Kate Pigula

HOW MANY YARDS OF EACH COLOR DO I  BUY AND HOW MANY BOWS DO YOU MAKE OF EACH COLOR?
    • Knelso18

Walmart sells them in rolls, so unsure exactly how many yards in each roll. Maybe 6?
      I bought one roll of each color. And added one of each color (so 3 pieces of burlap) in each section attached to the wreath...

• Kate Pigula

How many inches are the squares for making the bow?Thanks for answering.
  • Donna Dobbins

I did not see a size for the wreath? Did I miss it?
    • Knelso18

To be honest I chose the biggest one that Walmart carried... however dollar store have a slightly smaller one for a buck. And only cuts off an inch around...
    • Linda Sikut

The exact size isn't that important. She said she chose the biggest. My suggest would be to choose the best size for your door. Measure it before you leave and get one a little smaller.
  • Patti

I didn't get the way you put the burlap together. Was it done with the wire. Was it wrapped around the burlap and then through the wreath.
    • Knelso18

I wrapped it by using floral wire and that around the wire wreath. I would gather 3 pieces of burlap...make the money into a roll, match the seems, the. Grip in middle and twist the floral wire around them tight. Then fluff 😉
    • Patti

Thank You so much. That really helps me. Have a Great Day, Knelso18
    • Dawn

Come on people read each word😕
    • Linda

Years ago I made a wreath used the straw wreath then using a philips screw driver pushed each piece into straw wreath easy. Stuck flowers in wreath. It was Easget so did in frilly lacy pearls and other embellishments. Just another option
    • Patti

I like that idea too. Sounds pretty easy prays. Thank You Have a Freat Day.
    • Patti

As for rdsanchez966 don't you ever have a question or maybe missed something as you were reading direction. Hope not because you sound like the perfect one. Sorry DIYers usually don't let people get to me. Guess I need more coffee.
    • Linda Sikut

Patti, I get it. For rdsanchez966, sometimes a simple change in wording can help people understand much better. I live with that every day with someone I love. Sometime a simple change in wording helps them understand what I'm trying to say. Simply repeating the same words doesn't help. It seems to be just two different ways of thinking. Change the words a tad and POP, they get it. :) I'm just thankful it's only one person. :)
    • Bob8458161

OK, call me stupid but,.....I get you put the floral wire around the middle of the three strips of burlap. Then, how do you attach the burlap to the wreath? Do you then wrap the floral wire around the metal on the wreath?
    • Knelso18

Yep... you got it!
    • Kristi Peterson

From what I understand, yes.
    • Bamagirl63

Yes Bobbie. Wrap the wire once around the middle of the burlap and twist the wire once or twice to make it tight. Then the extra that’s left wrap it around the wreath wire to secure it. If you cut your floral wire in half you will have less wire waste. Hope this helps.
  • Tsp5849922

I didn't get any instructions with the post. Where are they so I can go find them?
  • Tsp5849922

I didn't get any instructions on my post. Where can I go to get them?

• Syl21091255

how do you attach to wire, just poke them thru ?.
    • Knelso18

If you mean the burlap, just bunched them together and twisted around the center. If you mean attach the scarecrow, I poked the wire thru some of the burlap and then thru the scarecrow.
      hope that helps...
  • Stacie Warden

do u know what they spray the wreaths with to make them stiff?
  • Nes28652336

How do you attach to the metal wreath ?
    • Knelso18

I use the decorative wrapped wire like in picture. I used gold... really you can use any color as it will not show. I bought the package at the dollar store then cut in half. Hope hat helps.
  • Paw13639904

HOw is the burlap attached to wire frame

• Paw13639904

• Cathy Thomas

When you put the folded burlap together with the wire/pipe cleaners then you use the same wire to attach to the frame. By twisting it together.

• Christine DeFrancesco

Your wreath looks great. What type of cutter did you use? It looked like a cutter for paper?

• Kim

What is the width of this burlap?

I have tons of burlap ribbon 2 1/2” I think. Is this the dollar store kind you used for the other wreath you mentioned and is it the same recipe?

Ty

• Knelso18

I believe tab 4" width.

• Shawna Robertson

Believe she said 5" for both sides

• Deb White

They don't look like 5" squares. Kim, I would say you can use your 2 1/2" wide burlap. It might take more bundles but it should still work and look great...go for it!

• Sonjie Barclay Thomas

Nice job! Kimbo, is this yours? I really like the colors!

• Mary ann breitbach

what size wreath form

• Knelso18

Good question. I no longer have as I have to my mother-in law. I would guess 15” finished...

• Deborah Ann Ferguson

are the rolls individual or did you put them together

• Whi31815057

Beautiful wreath congratulations...

• Mary M. Jones

Very cute and thanks for sharing. I was wondering how to make with this kind of material, love

It with the scarecrow!