Make a Tilt Out Trash Bin Out of Pallets

$20
1 Week

In this tutorial I will show you how I disassembled pallets and turned them a tilt out trash bin. The only items I purchased for this project were the hinges, angle brackets, waste canister and eye hooks. the rest of the materials I had on hand.

I can't say how much time this project took me, I'm a part time maker/crafter and only able to devote a couples hours a day to my hobby.

I have embedded a video showing the process of making this project. I encourage you to watch it to get a better understanding of the process.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this project.

First disassemble pallets. I used a jig saw to cut the deck boards off of the stringers. For the heavy duty pallet made with 2 x 8's I used a sledge hammer. Once the boards were off I remove the nails.

The pallets are disassembled, now I will clean up and prepare the wood. I glued the thinner deck boards together in sets of 2. This gave me thicker boards to work with. Using the table saw, and a table saw jointer jig, I trimmed the boards to get flat surfaces along the boards length. Then with that flat surface up against the table saw fence I trimmed the other side. Now the boards have flat surfaces on both sides and are equal width. This is key to having your project be square.

Next I ran the boards through my surface planar to get them to the thickness I wanted. All the boards are cleaned and trimmed, now I can start building the cabinet.

First I made the base of the cabinet. Using the part of the pallet with the hand jack openings I made a frame, then attached boards over the frame with a brad nailer. Then I made a tray that the waste canister will sit on. I attached hinges to the bottom of the tray and then attached the tray to the base.

The next step is to make the sides, top and front panels. For this step I needed to drill pocket holes .

The side panels were made by making a frame with 4 boards, and then I drilled pocket holes . I used pocket hole screws to connect them, then added strips of wood on the inside of the frame to make a solid panel. I made three of these, 2 will be the right and left sides, the third will be the top. The 4th panel I made was for the front. I didn't add wood strips on this panel. This panel will have the segmented wooden quilt design attached to it. I made a dado in the inside perimeter of this panel to accept the backer board with the segmented design.

I assembled the top and the side panels of the cabinet and attached it to the base using pocket hole screws. Then using 90 degree angle brackets I attached the front panel to the tray that will hold the waste container . I added eye hooks on the inside of the front panel and the inside of the side panel to connect chains to stop the front panel from hitting the floor when opening it. Then attached boards across the back to enclose the cabinet.

The next step is to made the decorative front panel. I cut about 125 parallelograms and stained them grey and red. Then glued them to a backer board

I attached the backer board to the front panel, then put a frame around it to give it a finished look. And added a knob and coated with with Danish Oil.

Here is the finished product (front views)

View showing the trash canister.

Side view

The back. I purposely left the back panels in their original state.

Here is the full video of the complete process.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Sharon

Can you come to my house to build a few things.

• Stevemar2

Me, three (or is it 4?). I’ve been wanting a tilt out for so long but they’re expensive and I’m not handy or crafty. This is beautiful!

• Connie

I am in LOVE with it!!!!!

• Luis

Gorgeous cabinet to hide the trash, but how much will be the cost to build one if I don have any of the tools. Can I get an estimate on the tools prices please? Thanks so much,

Luis from Texaa

• Lou LoGiudice

I used many tools to make this. It took me many years to get the collection I have. With the proper tools you can make anything. I would say the tools I used to make will cost about $2000.00