Making a Vertical Wall From Plastic Bottles

$3

A simple tutorial on how to green up you outdoor spaces by upcycling plastic bottles.
making a vertical wall from plastic bottles
Have some empty water bottles at home? Learn how you can create a beautiful green wall out of plastic bottles. All you need are a few bottles, a black marker, scissors, zip ties, water, and some plants. We had bottles of various sizes. It's your choice to used a variety or one size.
First you are going to take the labels off of the bottles. Do this step diligently to give the bottles a nice appearance.The finished product is so beautiful and enhances our patio so much!

Mark an oval half way up the plastic bottles to trace where you will cut the area the water is poured into and the plants hang out of.
Use one of the other bottles that are still uncut and fill it with water. Carefully pour the water into the bottle that has been cut. You should fill it close to the opening of the oval. See the exact measurement in the video at the end of this post.
Slide in some beautiful flowers. Pick your favorite leaves, branches, or stems and get creative. Since there are so many bottles you can mix and match and have some amazing color combinations.
Grab a bunch of zip ties and begin attaching the bottle to a patio gate.
Secure the bottles one by one and choose a pattern and height that you like. Watch the video below to see how I go about doing it. 
Alternatively, you can use the Bottles as flower planters by adding soil, plants and an a little hole at the bottom of the bottle for drainage.
The finished product is so beautiful and enhances our patio so much!
Here is the whole "making of" video.

Do you like this Project? Follow me for more here:

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Empty plastic bottles  (Supermarket)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/EvHenGO-Zip-Ties-Cable-Inches/dp/B01N4GOHZO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506626671&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=Cable+Ties&psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=gobuildideas-creator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=11b65a774adfe7a760d61de7d229d228&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Cable Ties</a>  (Hardware Store/Amazon)
  • <a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Plants&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3APlants&_encoding=UTF8&tag=gobuildideas-creator-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=2f6568521e0d3b9e7e977074cf2383af&camp=1789&creative=9325" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Plants</a>  (From my garden/Amazon)

• Anne

I love this idea, and I have a question. How long did the plants last? Did they start to sprout roots/propagate?
  • Liz29551331

how do you change the water out? or does it evaporate eventually?
    • GoBuildIdeas

Yeah, thats right! Alternatively , you can use them as proper planters with soil in them.
  • Mary

Wonder how strong wind and heavy rain would affect this pretty sight, if it is not under roof at all. I love the look and the concept of so many plants in a small area. I wonder what grows best in this arrangement --- carrots, potatoes, ivy, avocado, philodendrum, or what?
    • Barb in Texas

Carrots and potatoes grow underground, and potatoes turn green if exposed to sunlight while growing. Begonias can be grown and bloom without dirt.

• Ria Kuperus-Douma

I would like to paint the bottle first, because after a while the inside will show dirty or green.
  • Melissa Reichel

I'm going to paint and use dirt so I could plant some tiny flowers and greens....and attach it to a trellis as a privacy barrier and to block my neighbors messy yard. Thanks for the idea!!