Venting Frustration

Working crown molding around the living room, I hit a snag I had known all along was going to be a real problem. This vent was smack dab in the way, no avoiding it.
I find it odd that I started installing while still lacking a coherent strategy for dealing with the inevitable horror of the impending collision. Heck, I even started installing the molding before I could find a the replacement vent cover. Here's where the online DIY community is so great. I posted a question on Hometalk.com, hoping for some ideas and options from fellow DIY'ers.

They came though with great ideas. Catch the whole story on the blog. Link at the bottom.
Old McNasty here has to go, but how to avoid the crown molding crash?
Awesome Hometalk readers came back with plenty of great ideas and advice!
I installed a new vent cover,
...marked the location,
... carved out a slot,
...and shot it in place.
Almost done! Just some sanding, caulking and painting.and it's a wrap. I can still remove the cover from behind the molding if I ever need to get in there.

John @ AZ DIY Guy

• Tim D. (The Retro Den)

Great idea but why not just bust the drywall and lower the vent by an inch or so?

• John @ AZ DIY Guy

Hey @Tim D. (The Retro Den) ! I thought about it, but the duct feeding the vent runs through a bulkhead (?) on the other side of the wall. It's in the garage / laundry room. I'd have to tear into that and rebuild it too. If I lowered the whole thing to make it look right (big job) our stacked washer dryer probably wouldn't fit. Maybe I could do some sort of transition inside the wall, but that seem like another huge job. I think we can live with this solution. :)

• Lois-Ann

I would paint it the colour of the wall and then it wouldn't stand out so much :o)