Glue Gun Holder

$0

I've ruined a lot of dishes and various surfaces as a result of my glue gun. I took this problem to my son and asked him to come up with a solution - although quite frankly, not without my input and multiple drawings of possibilities. Of course, he tossed out all my ideas and ran with his own design.
.
I know I gave "honorable mention" to the glue gun in my "Steampunk - My Favorite Art Form" project. I gave thought to the fact that maybe just maybe someone would be searching for a "glue gun holder". And maybe, just maybe it needed to be highlighted on it's own.
He began by taking a 2" x 6" board and cut off a square measuring approximately 5." x 5." and cutting a 3" hole in it.
He selected a jar which fit into the hole perfectly. The problem was that as soon as I tried to lift the base, the jar would slip through it.
I happen to have this little square wood piece, probably acquired in some "bundled" art purchase at a garage sale. It measures about 4.5" x 4.5" square. This was my contribution to the design/function.
To prevent the jar from slipping through whenever I pick it up from the base, I hot glued this 4.5" square to the bottom of the 5.5" block.
There are several things I love about this design. I have several glue guns in various sizes and temps. This size fits all my glue guns. I also love the fact that when I wish to rest the glue gun, invariably the glue will drip out and in this case it drips into the jar. If and when there is enough glue in the jar to interfere with resting it there, I will simply throw out the old jar and replace it with a new on. It is easy to move about, it doesn't tip over and the jar is disposable. Who could ask for anything more.
After using the glue gun holder for a while, I made it even more useful by gluing on a few magnets. One holds my razor in a safe place and others anything magnetic that I'm working with.
I also added a small but handy little pin cushion by cutting out a piece of felt, doubled over and added a doily.

• Wood Block  (Pre-owned)
  • Glass jar  (Pre-owned)

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas

• Wendy
    Wendy

Perfect!! Great idea Pat :)
  • Nadine Hartman Bourne
    Nadine Hartman Bourne

I have a silicone mat for mine and I discovered quickly that it warped my quilt cutting mat that was under the silicone mat. oops. Just wanted to let you know you don't have to toss the jar. Rubbing alcohol will help that glue come right off. Pour a little in the jar swish it around, then use a craft stick and gently push on the glue it comes right off. I have only tried this with regular hot glue, not any of those specialty ones.
    • Pat Ruge
      Pat Ruge

I will definitely give that a try, Nadine, thanks for the suggestion.