How do I get my property taxes lowered?

  8 answers
  • TNsteph TNsteph on Sep 22, 2017
    Yes, I'd love to know too! The county I live in has the second highest property tax in the state and we're entirely rural.
  • Check your HUD site for your County / State and see what programs they have available. Many times an intensive Google search will help. Type in: "how to lower property tax in (city, state)" and follow the links to see what comes up.
  • Liz Toone Liz Toone on Sep 22, 2017
    You won't get them lowered, but if your a senior citizen and in a low income bracke you may be able to freeze your current rate. Check with your local government.
  • Roxaneg Roxaneg on Sep 22, 2017
    Most jurisdictions allow you to file an appeal of those taxes. You also might be eligible for tax reduction based on age, area, etc. The best thing to do is contact your county or parish tax office and obtain the appeal form and talk to the clerk there for help in filling it out.
  • Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Sep 22, 2017
    Here in Florida there are people who you can hire on your behalf to appeal your property tax with your local authorities. They charge you a nominal flat fee and get a percentage of the money they save you if any. My brother used one.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Sep 22, 2017
    Check with your local government. You may be able to have the place reappraised (but be careful it could go up) . Check to make sure that they have accurate data square footage, building material - brick, wood etc. for you property. Do they have the proper acreage? If it is a recent raise in appraised value you may be able to appeal. They will have to tell you this, and how to do it. If you are a senior citizen, many communities have special programs. And if all else fails, see if they allow you to pay by the month.
  • Susan Engelbrecht Susan Engelbrecht on Sep 22, 2017
    Find out if there is a homestead credit available for you.
  • Angela Angela on Sep 22, 2017
    in my state of Washington, there are programs for seniors/disabled persons to dramatically reduce property taxes. Check you local county assessor's website for info. Or just use search terms "How to reduce property taxes in (county/state)".