DIY Pallet Wood Headboard

$60
2 Weeks

My new herringbone pattern headboard made from free pallets, plywood and some 1x4s! This headboard was made from two pallets that we had leftover from when we built our deck. They sat leaning against our house for YEARS waiting for the perfect project. Because these pallets were FREE this made it a very inexpensive project - perfect for my $100 guest room makeover.

I started with two pallets that were left over from when we build our deck. Instead of trying to pry the boards off the frame, I used my circular saw to remove them into small strips.

I trimmed the pallet boards to the nearest inch, cleaned and left them to fully dry a few days in the sun.

I played around with patterns in the driveway until I found my favourite - herringbone.

Starting at one end and using a nail gun, I attached the pallet boards to a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to the size of my headboard (Queen - 40" x 60"). I then trimmed away any overhanging boards with my circular saw and added a frame using plain 1 x 4s cut down to 2.5" wide.

The headboard is mounted to the wall using a french cleat. The board on the wall is screwed into the studs and the piece on the headboard is hidden by the 1 x 4 frame.

To protect against splinters and fabric snags the assembled headboard has been covered in three coats of triple thick poly and given a light sanding The texture and natural colour of the pallet remains. For a complete tutorial check out my blog post!

RetailSource CPW2424R Recycled 1000 Lbs. Wood Pallet

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Casey FitzGerald

• Gbe28001574
    Gbe28001574

this Is real cool , I like your amazing idea of the pallets and how you convert it into a headboard, real nice!

• Michelle Caddick
    Michelle Caddick

That is awesome. I have just finished installing a herringbone floor and I love the herringbone pattern - it’s so beautiful. I’d love to see a full pic of your headboard with the bed in situ.