Quick, Affordable Renter-friendly Bedroom Makeover: Color, Storage,...

$250
1 Day

It doesn't need to cost a lot or take a lot of time to freshen up a bedroom and give it new life! When you live in a rental apartment, it makes sense to not spend too much time or money to decorate, so in this makeover, everything is quick and easy to do on a budget.

quick affordable renter friendly bedroom makeover color storage

On the to-do list for upgrades was to bring in some color (without painting since this isn't something that's allowed in this rental), cover up the vertical blinds somehow and also hide the A/C unit, and add some storage using the vertical space as this is a very small bedroom.

To bring in color and hide the vertical blinds and A/C unit, I took off the valance in front of the track (it was easy to do with a screwdriver).

I used " NoNo brackets" that slide onto the existing vertical blind track so they are great when you don't want to make any holes in the walls. They adjust to fit the width of the track by tightening the crew (I had to use an offset screwdriver to tighten it because the track was so close to to ceiling).

I used 4 curtain panels from IKEA and the vertical blind track didn't have any issue holding up the weight (the curtains are fairly light) but I would recommend using lighter weight curtains in general with the brackets. I pulled the curtains over the brackets on both ends so they could cover the entire wall, hiding the A/C unit when it's not being used.

To address jewelry storage, I installed a hanging jewelry box on the wall that I got on Amazon - it was the best solution to get the most storage without taking up any floor space. It's permitted to drill holes in the walls in this rental, as long as they are patched up before moving out.

I used tape as a template for getting the exact location of the keyholes right and adding a folded post-it note under where I drilled saved on clean up!

I also installed 3M command hooks (easily removable) to hang more necklaces on the side of the jewelry box - they also serve as wall art which is nice.

For more storage, I gave new life to the bookcase by giving it a few upgrade to pretty it up and maximize the storage

I used double sided tape to install a beautiful beige wallpaper (I had it on hand from an another project) on the back of the bookcase and I made some small shelves to maximize the use of vertical space.

I also created shoe storage with tension rods and used cloth bins for clothes and other items. Now the room is more organized by taking advantage of the vertical space.

And the curtains add some warmth and make the room feel a lot cozier and bring in some color that coordinates nicely with the painting. The vertical blinds are less noticeable and the A/C unit is out of sight when it's not being used.

The entire makeover, including the jewelry box, curtains, and new bedding came in at $266, just a few dollars over budget. You can see the makeover from start to finish in this video.

• NoNo brackets  (Amazon)
  • Hanging jewelry box  (Amazon)
Engineer Your Space

• Sandy

How do you now use your air conditioner with the drapery covering it and blocking the air flow? Might this be a fire hazard?

• Jojo Snow

Yeah, not everyone lives in Florida. Where I live, I would only use the AC a few months out of the year, and not 24/7. It would make total sense to cover it with a curtain and just move the curtain when you want to use it.

• Linda Ownby

Was this just a window or a sliding door? I love the look but mine is a slider, even though I don’t really use it, so I don’t know if it would work for me.

• Sunny

I love the whole room!!! But have to ask, where did you get the elephant picture? I love elephants and would love to have one for my home. Thanks!

• Barb in Texas

Fantastic job!

• Fay

I love the idea of long drapes. i have the same kind of window in a rental. i am using your wonderful idea, you are so creative, great job.