Can Plastic Easter Eggs Become Fall Decor? See What I Did!

$2

Sometimes the strangest items can be transformed into something special for little or no money. That was the case with these plastic eggs I found in my garage as I was cleaning up. I decided to turn them into something I could use for a fall centerpiece. See what I did.
These 6 eggs were the bigger ones, around four inches in length. I decided to turn them into acorns. 
Step 1: I added some hot glue to the edge of one part of the egg and glued the two sections together.

Step 2:  I decided to paint the eggs gold. I set them in the lids from spray paint cans and sprayed them gold.
 I only had enough gold paint for three of them. ( I decorated the other three differently) I let the paint dry and worked on the other three.
Step 3:  I needed some additional supplies for the acorns. The eggs of course, twine and old books.
Step 4: I used pages from some old books I had and tore small pieces. You could use newspaper or magazines. 
Step 5:  I used Mod Podge to adhere the scraps of paper to the bottom part of the egg. I added more Mod Podge to the top of the paper to hold it. I set them in containers to dry. (This was my twine ball)
Step 6: I added a small twig to the top with my glue gun.

You need to hold the stick for for a few seconds since it will take a little longer to secure. if it tilts to the right of left, that's OK too since acorn tops can be a little off and not straight up.

Step 7: Once the stick has dried and is secure, it is time to finish the top part (I added the paper to some after but sprayed painted before adding the stem).

I put some hot glue on the section where the two pieces come together and attached the twine. I kept adding glue and twine.
Step 8: As you reach the top, it may be off slightly. Don't worry. Continue wrapping and gluing around.

Step 9: Make sure to wrap around the stick as well. When you have completed wrapping the twine, your eggs will look like this.
Step 10: Add your acorns to a basket with some other fall items and you have a lovely fall centerpiece.

I have more tips and images over on my blog page.

Eclectic Red Barn

• Lonette

Love it!! I will have Easter acorns on my table by the weekend!

• Arlene

Can you use yarn to shade twine on them.

• Lisa Sinclair

That's the great thing abt diy!!! You can do whatever your lil old heart desires!!!

• Bowiefan

Very Cute. Did you put the paper over the entire egg, except for the stem area? I feel

like i would never get the twine tight enough to cover the color underneath?

• Eclectic Red Barn

No I did not put the paper all over it including the top, but you can make it your own. You could always paint it all as I did on the gold ones.

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Rats I just donated some eggs to a local thrift store. These are really creative!!

• Eclectic Red Barn

Oh no, sounds like something I would do. I give stuff away and then I see something that I could create. maybe you will find some different ones.

• Vikki

I used the eggs that came with panty hose back in the 80's, they turn our great, many thanks for the ideal!