Kate Hollingsworth
Kate Hollingsworth
  • Australia

DIY Mail Holders

$0

Anyone who knows me knows that I love repurposing crap into beautiful, usable things. One day I arrived home to find that my mum had left an old metal rack on my front veranda with the note “Can you use this?”. Hells, yes! Then it sat on the veranda for a few weeks while I formulated a plan for it. (Note: our front veranda is less of a “pretty welcome area” and more of a “holding bay for junk”. We’re very classy.)
diy mail holders
(I imagine it’s an organiser that attaches to the inside of a door. Like in a pantry. Except it was pretty grotty so maybe a shed.) I unscrewed the metal baskets from the rails and spray painted them matt black. While the paint was drying I dug out an old pine 1×8, cut it and joined the pieces together to make a square(ish) timber plate.
diy mail holders
diy mail holders
I made two of these timber plates from the one board. Then I sanded them both, stained one and whitewashed the other. (Due to my brain being stretched thin at the moment, I don't have any more progress pics - sorry!) Let's just imagine that there are a bundle of in-depth, step-by-step pictures detailing how I attached the baskets to the timber plates, added some L-hooks and painted wording at the top. Got it? Great! Now let’s skip to the finished product: my DIY Mail Holders.
diy mail holders
This is the mail holder that I stained. I used the larger basket and painted a formal “mail” sign at the top.
diy mail holders
The screws that hold the basket to the wooden plate were a silver colour which looked stupid so I dabbed a bit of black paint on them.
diy mail holders
Here we have the whitewashed one. The whitewash had a more feminine vibe so I used a curvier font for the “welcome home”.
diy mail holders
diy mail holders
The L-hooks are a perfect spot to hang keys or even a dog leash or two. I love repurposing things, especially if it includes using up old wood from my stash. This little project ticked all the boxes and I’m smitten with how my DIY mail holders turned out. I love them! So if you’re in the area, just unload your unwanted junk straight onto my front veranda. I’m kidding, Emma would kill me. (Just do it when she’s not home.)

• Scrap wood
  • Metal baskets
Kate Hollingsworth

• Equ13024608

Very nice idea..did you free-hand the welcome home script?
    I especially like the whitewashed one!
  • J P

How did you get the fonts so neat an pretty?
  • Michele Bellfy Creech

What did you attach to the back for hanging on the wall? I absolutely love these!
    • Penelope

Love these .you have given me idea for mine going to use 2 in kitchen & one in bathroom

• Pat Starks-Australia

WOW!! LOVE THEM :)
  • Penelope

I'm going to make these mine are longer so going to use them for herb graden in kitchen thanks for sharing your are nice great job.