Screened Porch Makeover

$1000

One of the big selling points for our house was the screened porch. It's off the master bedroom and makes for a great sitting area in addition to our other outdoor spaces. However, ours was in need of a refresh. Updates included painting the concrete floor, new rugs and furniture, curtains and cleaning.
First, we cleared off the porch and sold the existing furniture. One big lesson early on is that our screened porch gets very wet during rain. My mom has a screened porch, and hers doesn't get wet at all when it rains so she has a few pieces of indoor furniture on the porch. That is not the case with ours. After a few heavy rain showers, I realized we needed to invest in actual outdoor furniture that could stand up to the elements.
The plan for the porch also included:
  • Purchase new seating to seat at least four
  • Paint floor
  • Update the color scheme to make it brighter and more fun
  • Add accessories to make it feel more room like
  • Purchase new and bigger rug for under the coffee table
  • Add curtains
  • Replace screens (not done in the initial makeover)
After clearing the porch, I scrubbed the floors to get them as clean as possible before painting. I'll do a full tutorial on the floors soon, but I decided to go with stripes.
After the paint was dry, I layered in a new rug under the coffee table. It took two full days to clean, paint and let the floor dry.
I also invested in a new loveseat and chairs from Lowes. While I wanted to replace everything, I knew this would happen over several years. At the end of the post, I'll include a picture of what the porch looks like today and share how I've continued to update as budget allows.
Early on, I decided to go with a blue and green color scheme. Navy is a color that appears in almost every room in our house, I wanted to continue that same flow outside. Initially, I added cheap curtains from Ikea. You'll see what I replaced them with at the end of the post.
I love seating and wanted to fit as many people as possible out here. I found two outdoor poufs from Target and added them to serve as ottomans or extra seating.
Since the initial makeover, I've since changed a few things up. My plan was to add a bigger rug and layer the Target navy rug over it. Unfortunately, the Target rug disintegrated when I went to move it. So now, I have a larger neutral rug. I've also added plants to the porch, along with some more side tables.
I was also super excited to switch on the fan this summer! This one is wet-rated and does a great job of keeping us cool on those hot Georgia nights. You can also see the new curtains better in this photo. Tip: They aren't actually curtains - they are shower curtains purchased on Amazon! They hold up much better to the elements than the Ikea curtains did.

• Porch & Floor Paint  (Sherwin Williams)
  • Outdoor furniture & cushions  (Lowes)
  • Curtains & Curtain Rods  (Ikea, Amazon)

Jenn Marsh

• Susan Llewellyn

Have you considered putting outdoor drapes on the outside of your screens to help prevent water getting into your beautiful porch when it rains? Love the ambience of the space.
    • Diane Brown Austin

We had the same problem so we hung waterproof fabric shower curtains on the outside as well. We used Velcro to “anchor”the bottom to the frame.
      Another way is to put curtain rods top and bottom and close them when it calls for rain.
      good luck and enjoy your new room.
  • Wee12497073

Just beautiful. I’m redoing my screen porch too. But I have a problem with everything getting moldy. I live in Florida. I have indoor/outdoor old carpet out there now with white wicker furniture. The cushions get moldy…pillows too. And I have stored some beach chairs out there now foe only two months and they are already getting moldy.
    How do you keep your porch from getting moldy.?
    have you ever had this problem.

Susan
    • Wee12497073

Thank you. Never thought of dish soap. But I did try bleach and water that didnt work.
      maybe a deck box would help.

• Anita Gonis

Are the cushions on the furniture weathe- proof or do they need taken in during the rain?
    • Jenn Marsh

Hi Anita - they are all outdoor cushions. I only bring them inside during the horrible pollen season we have in Georgia, but otherwise, they stay out year-round

• Janice Hodge

I lived in Hawaii and our screened Lanai had cavan roller curtains that could be rolled down over the outside of the screened area but you controlled it from the inside . Just a suggestion because I know how moisture can cause mildew easily in our southern weather .
  • Elizabeth

very nauticaL. I could eat a lobster out there. Beautiful!