Recycled Embroidery Hoop Fall Wreath With Flannel Shirts

$15

I'm sharing my embroidery hoop upcycle project today with 6 other creative bloggers who also where charged with taking one or more embroidery hoops and creating something new. This is always fun for me. Kind of like a game.

The timing for this craft was great because I love making projects for fall and the holidays. Visit my Projects Page to see tons of fun and easy handmade and diy projects.
I've been wanting to make something with plaid fabric and noticed this green and black flannel shirt in our giveaway pile so I got the idea to create something with flannel plaid shirts. The other two were picked up at Goodwill for about $2 each.
To make this wreath, cut out your flannel strips and spray them with starch to give them a little stiffness. I cut the ends to a point too but you don't have to do this step.
You can use whatever fabric you want for the center. This is just a piece of dark muslin that set a nice neutral tone for the center of the wreath.
As you can see, even with the spray starch the petal were too long and not stiff enough to stand on their own and flopped over. Not a great look.
To fix it I decided to knot double knot them which gave it a nice finished look. This was meant to be a fall wreath but you could easily make it into a Christmas wreath by adding in more red.

To see details on this project and the other 6 upcycled embroidery hoop projects click at the link at the bottom.

• Flannel shirts  (Goodwill)
  • 7 inch embroidery hoop  (Amazon)
  • Spray Starch  (Amazon)

Patti @Hearth and Vine