DIY Fireplace Mantel Headboard

1 Day

So, I saw a fireplace mantel online and fell in love with it. I searched online for ones for sale and almost fainted because they were soooo expensive. Then I got angry and thought to myself, You can do this yourself! (haha, i'm so brave when i'm mad, and home in my own house, in my own mind!) Well I actually did it. :D Please tell me what you think, but be nice! It's my first time. :D
We built a "U" shaped rectangle box.
We made a cut out in the bottom because that's the only outlet on the wall. You won't see it when the bed is in place.
We added crown moulding and some trim to pretty it all up.
I painted the whole thing white (yes, even that bottom piece not painted here)
And the Finished product.

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants

• Lisa hurst
    Lisa hurst

It is gorgeous! I want to make one! What did you use on the inside? Is that your own headboard? Awesome job!

• Amy Ogden-Paparone
      Amy Ogden-Paparone

It was my own headboard, but we sold our home and the buyers begged for us to leave it for them. I used material, foam and buttons on the inside, and attached it with velcro so that it could get removed and the fabric be changed out if I ever wanted to. Never got the chance to do it

• Deborah Tubre Bennett
    Deborah Tubre Bennett

Can you give some dimensions

for the headboard and maybe how manu

inches away from edges you put the trim for the cushion. Also did you make the cushion or buy it?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone
      Amy Ogden-Paparone

I had a queen sized bed, so measured for the cushion to be the width of the whole bed and brought the frame for the mantel out 6" on each side. I made the cushion. I took a piece of wood, drilled holes for where I wanted the buttons, covered it with batting and material and sewed the buttons on thru the holes in the back. Then attached the whole thing to the mantel with velcro. This way if I ever wanted to change the material I could and it wouldn't be a giant project. Unfortunately, I never got the chance because we sold this house and the new owners asked to buy the bed with it. Hope this helps Deborah, at least you'll know how to measure your bed if you ever wanted to make one! :)

• Nancy
    Nancy

Could you attach this to the frame with an adjustable bed? Absolutely love this!

• Lynnette Bowden
    Lynnette Bowden

Awesome project! Do you have materials and dimensions list?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone
      Amy Ogden-Paparone

I have what I used listed below but not the dimensions. Sorry! When I sold my home 5 years ago, the buyers bought the bed with the house so I can't even measure them for you now :(

• Nancy
    Nancy

This is gorgeous! I was looking for a mantle online as well and knew the price was going to be prohibitive. I’m not as clever as you are. How do you think it would look if you didn’t put the upholstered piece in and left that as painted wood? I also would like to add lights to it. Thanks for giving me hope for a beautiful headboard!