Amy Ogden-Paparone
Amy Ogden-Paparone
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Pottstown, PA

DIY Fireplace Mantel Headboard

1 Day

So, I saw a fireplace mantel online and fell in love with it. I searched online for ones for sale and almost fainted because they were soooo expensive. Then I got angry and thought to myself, You can do this yourself! (haha, i'm so brave when i'm mad, and home in my own house, in my own mind!) Well I actually did it. :D Please tell me what you think, but be nice! It's my first time. :D
diy fireplace mantle headboard, bedroom ideas, fireplaces mantels, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
We built a "U" shaped rectangle box.
We built a "U" shaped rectangle box.
We made a cut out in the bottom because that's the only outlet on the wall. You won't see it when the bed is in place.
We added crown moulding and some trim to pretty it all up.
I painted the whole thing white (yes, even that bottom piece not painted here)
And the Finished product.
And the Finished product.

• Marty Hansen Hagar

What an amazing job.... just love love love.. What type of material did you use to make the u shape frame?

• Lisa hurst

It is gorgeous! I want to make one! What did you use on the inside? Is that your own headboard? Awesome job!

• Deborah Tubre Bennett

Can you give some dimensions

for the headboard and maybe how manu

inches away from edges you put the trim for the cushion. Also did you make the cushion or buy it?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

I had a queen sized bed, so measured for the cushion to be the width of the whole bed and brought the frame for the mantel out 6" on each side. I made the cushion. I took a piece of wood, drilled holes for where I wanted the buttons, covered it with batting and material and sewed the buttons on thru the holes in the back. Then attached the whole thing to the mantel with velcro. This way if I ever wanted to change the material I could and it wouldn't be a giant project. Unfortunately, I never got the chance because we sold this house and the new owners asked to buy the bed with it. Hope this helps Deborah, at least you'll know how to measure your bed if you ever wanted to make one! :)

• Ernestine

That is Beautiful and different I like that idea

• Michele

OMG... I am absolutely in love with this idea. I'm pretty good with my hands, but have never really had the time or courage to try a DIY project on my own. But the kids have all pretty much flown the cooper, about to be a Grandma in a few months, have been disabled for the last few years, and about to go crazy off I don't find something to occupy myself!! Please help me with a few more detailed instructions... your idea just touched my Heart & I so want to do it...!!!