Amy Ogden-Paparone
Amy Ogden-Paparone
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Pottstown, PA

DIY Fireplace Mantel Headboard

1 Day

So, I saw a fireplace mantel online and fell in love with it. I searched online for ones for sale and almost fainted because they were soooo expensive. Then I got angry and thought to myself, You can do this yourself! (haha, i'm so brave when i'm mad, and home in my own house, in my own mind!) Well I actually did it. :D Please tell me what you think, but be nice! It's my first time. :D
diy fireplace mantle headboard, bedroom ideas, fireplaces mantels, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
We built a "U" shaped rectangle box.
We built a "U" shaped rectangle box.
We made a cut out in the bottom because that's the only outlet on the wall. You won't see it when the bed is in place.
We added crown moulding and some trim to pretty it all up.
I painted the whole thing white (yes, even that bottom piece not painted here)
And the Finished product.
And the Finished product.

• Lee En

How did you do the cushioned part of the mantel?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

@Lee En I cut a thing piece of wood, pre-drilled the holes for the buttons to be sewn on, added foam, covered with the material, sewed the buttons on and then attached it to the headboard with long strips of velcro. I did that so if I ever wanted to change out the material to something else it would be really easy to do. :) Hope this answers your question.

• C-Ann

Is headboard too top-heavy to be attached to the bed frame?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

@C-Ann not at all, actually before we attached the bed to it, my youngest who's 21 layed across the mantel and it stayed right where it was :) and he's 6ft and 180lbs. after that I wasn't worried :)

• C-Ann

@Amy Ogden-Paparone Where exactly is the U shape box? It looks like there's a piece behind the mantel in 2nd photo but not in the first one. Also, at the bottom of the mantel, the wood looks to be two different colors. Do you have dimensions or instructions? :) Would love to try it this summer!

• Jen

Love it!!!

• DONNA ACKERMAN

Where did you find the fireplace mantle? This is gorgeous!

• Mat4365061

I would love to try this, but would need some additional instructions on assembling the basic construction of the box, with measurements. Also how did you attach the mantle headboard to the frame? Really would love to try this.

• Connie Law Floyd

What about the "tufted" part? How did you incorporate that? Thank you.

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

I got a thin piece of wood cut it to fit, drilled the holes where I wanted the buttons to go. Then I glued 2" foam on to it, covered it with material, "sewed the buttons on" and then attached it to the head board with velcro. I did that so that when I wanted to change out the material, all I had to do was pull it off, recover and place it back on :)

• Angtone

what kind of paint did you use?

• Nancy

You're a genius. I LOVE it and the thought that you can decorate the mantle around the seasons and occasions in your life is brilliant. Well done you! If you were starting this project today, is there anything you would choose to do differently?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Nancy the only thing I'd do differently would to have the metal buttons at the ready to cover. I had to order them on line and even tho they came in 2 days, the waiting was killing me! Lol

• VictoriaC

Amy, I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE that headboard..Fantastic idea..if you get mad and come up with these ideas, I want to see what you come up with when your furious, girl! LOL I love this so much, but what I love also is the color of your walls...DO YOU KNOW or remember the manuf, of the paint and what color this is? I have been wanting to paint my bedroom and living room something very similiar and cannot explain it worth beans to my hsb..To get him to go to look at paint is worse than pulling teeth from a bucking horse! :( I love the "Griege" sp? colors to, and they come in so many variations...You did a beautiful job ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Thank you Victoria! And yes I remember the color! It's in home depot and it's called Mesa Taupe. It took me a million (well not really but almost) samples to finally get the color I wanted. I love it too!

• VictoriaC

THANK YOU so much AMY! You did a beautiful job...I am pretty picky on the colors I want. I Love the colors in the Griege sp line, but there are so many tones...The color on your walls is so pretty and it will go with so many colors. I collect Quilts..so every yr I put different ones on for different seasons. I keep them all over the house esp, thru Oct thru Spring..Here in Colorado it gets cool at night, even in the summer, but I need a color that will go with just about anything and I found it..THANK YOU SO MUCH, again...and that bed is awesome..I pinned it, I made board around it, etc...I got a little crazy, ya know! lol

• Shanda

Beautiful! I don't see the part in your post about how you made the upholstered part of the headboard. Do you mind telling us? Thank you. :). Love the way it turned out!

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Here's how I made the padded insert. I cut a thin piece of wood, pre-drilled the holes for the buttons to be sewn on, added foam, covered with the material, sewed the buttons on and then attached it to the headboard with long strips of velcro. I did that so if I ever wanted to change out the material to something else it would be really easy to do. :) I have a queen sized bed so I measured that and then added an additional 6" on each side so it would be wider than the bed. It really is easy! And thank you so much for your kind words!!

• P. gadani

Amy, this is beautiful ! Is it attached to the wall ? or the bed frame ? Love it !

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Actually its attached to the bed frame and the wall for extra security. I've recently moved and the people who bought the house from us asked if they could also have the headboard. She loved it and now Iwant to make a new one for my new home!

• Leeanne

Great job! I love that you have storage at the top but a comfortable padded area for your head. I would probably go with leather on the padded insert part to protect it from hair products, oil etc. When you said you drilled holes for the buttons to go through? How did you thread it through and get it to stay in the holes without it popping back out? Thanks and it looks awesome!!

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Hi Leeanne,

The padded part of headboard is a separate piece of wood. I first drilled holes where I wanted my buttons to go, then on one side glued down the foam. I stapled the material to it and then using a big needle went in thru the holes on the back with strong thread and attached the buttons. Then I attached the whole thing with velcro to the actual headboard. This way if I wanted to change the color or fabric I could. I sold my house and the people begged for me to let them buy the headboard so I did. :(

• Valerie O'Neil Gahagan

HI Amy, Your headboard is beautiful! I've kept this pic for over a year now. I'm planning on trying to make the same. Could you please tell me the measurements of the wood. I also have a queen size bed. You did such a marvelous job!! ♥️♥️

Thank you. Valerie

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Hi Valerie :)

We measured our bed, and then added 8" on each side. Just the padded part is as wide as the bed, but you can do it so it fits your bed exactly. Thank you, and you're going to do a beautiful job too!! Hope you post a picture when you're done! I'd love to see it! We just recently moved and the people that bought our home asked if we could sell the headboard with the house. And sad to say we did! Looks like we'll be making a new one again! I miss it a lot!

• Toki

Hi!

I have my queen bed on risers because otherwise, it's too low. So now my question is, how to make a headboard for my bed and how to attach the headboard? If not attached to the bed base but attached to the wall; how to ensure there is no gap between headboard and mattress? Fyi; I have two nightstands and a large dresser to refinish to match this headboard to. I really like this style pictured and appreciate all the help you can give.

Thanks much,

Toki.

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Hi Toki! You can leave your bed on risers so it's the perfect height for you, just measure the height of your bed and adjust the height of your headboard legs so it meets. Then attach the bed to the headboard the same way you would any other headboard.

• Marty Hansen Hagar

What an amazing job.... just love love love.. What type of material did you use to make the u shape frame?

• Lisa hurst

It is gorgeous! I want to make one! What did you use on the inside? Is that your own headboard? Awesome job!

• Deborah Tubre Bennett

Can you give some dimensions

for the headboard and maybe how manu

inches away from edges you put the trim for the cushion. Also did you make the cushion or buy it?

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

I had a queen sized bed, so measured for the cushion to be the width of the whole bed and brought the frame for the mantel out 6" on each side. I made the cushion. I took a piece of wood, drilled holes for where I wanted the buttons, covered it with batting and material and sewed the buttons on thru the holes in the back. Then attached the whole thing to the mantel with velcro. This way if I ever wanted to change the material I could and it wouldn't be a giant project. Unfortunately, I never got the chance because we sold this house and the new owners asked to buy the bed with it. Hope this helps Deborah, at least you'll know how to measure your bed if you ever wanted to make one! :)

• Ernestine

That is Beautiful and different I like that idea

• Michele

OMG... I am absolutely in love with this idea. I'm pretty good with my hands, but have never really had the time or courage to try a DIY project on my own. But the kids have all pretty much flown the cooper, about to be a Grandma in a few months, have been disabled for the last few years, and about to go crazy off I don't find something to occupy myself!! Please help me with a few more detailed instructions... your idea just touched my Heart & I so want to do it...!!!