Closet sliding door mirror is broken!

+10
Yep, it's broken and expensive to replace them. I could remove the mirror but I don't know what to do next.

• Ken Ken on Sep 26, 2017
    I had this same issue and in my case I wanted the mirror. I just bought a whole new sliding door kit which was of better quality. In my original setup the mirror was in an aluminum frame and installing a thin piece of plywood instead of glass would have been relatively easy. Is that what you have?
    • Sue Somerville Sue Somerville on Sep 26, 2017
      It is extra large door and expensive at Home Depot because they would special order. Maybe a wanescot plywood wood look ok.
  • Goth Rosary Goth Rosary on Sep 26, 2017
    Check your phone book and see if there is a Habitat For Humanity Store near you. They offer a bit of everything and may have a replacement door for your closet at a great price. Good Luck!
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Sep 27, 2017
    It might be less expensive to not replace the mirrored part of the doors but instead to give it a paint makeover
  • Andrea Andrea on Sep 28, 2017
    put cheap boards on the door, paint it, then put small mirrors -different ones- on it. have fun
  • Debbie Sommer Debbie Sommer on Oct 01, 2017
    Call a glass merchant. They can probably repair it for you for a lot less than you think. Shop around to be sure.
  • Sharon Sharon on Oct 01, 2017
    They also make mirror acrylic sheets that used to be available at Tap Plastics. https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_mirror_clear/521
    They also make Mylar which could be added to the plywood backing using spray adhesive.
  • Sue Somerville Sue Somerville on Oct 01, 2017
    I will give this a try. Thanks.
  • Andrea Andrea on Oct 07, 2017
    l´m happy to hear this, thank you!
  • Sue Somerville Sue Somerville on Oct 07, 2017
    Thank you for all the great ideas.