Dennis
Dennis
Asked on Sep 27, 2017

How to clean a steam iron?

AmAtHomeLee LeeJoanne Waylett
+7

I added some distilled water to my iron and now have some sticky gunk coming out of it. Does anyone know how to clean it.

• Vita

I run some white vinegar through it and that usually cleans it.

Take a plain white towel and put some white vinegar on it,then run the iron back and forth to remove the gunk
  • Swantje410

Black
  • Margie

A drop or 2 of white vinegar with the water

• Ble30055284

I've had that problem i used 1tsp of white winigar with 1/2c of cold water iron something you dont care for n e more & u will c the difference.
  • Linda Sikut

That distilled water started to clean it! Vita is right though, run some vinegar & water through it. It should clean out anything in there. (I personally wouldn't use straight vinegar because when it's hot the smell is SO strong, but that's me.
  • Don28435183

vinegar!
  • Joanne Waylett

iempty your iron. Fill with distilled vinegar. Let it steam up and then use the steam or the clean button if your iron has one. Keep steaming until solution is gone. You might have to repeat. Then rinse with distilled water. Empty out and refill again. Turn off iron
  • Lee Lee

Pour in a cup of water and quarter cup white vinegar. Raise temp to very high. Keep ironing on an old cloth till water is used up. Try again till all gunk is gone.
  • AmAtHome

I used the instructions in the link, the baking soda /water paste worked great! https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/laundry/clean-iron