Asked on Sep 28, 2017

I have wood molding that I used to stain it I want to change it white

Janel Lowe2dogalChubby58
+2

• Tilly Katz

Scrub with a good grease cutting cleaner,dry well, sand (just lite buffing)then a good grade primer,i would use an oil base all the way. Let dry at least 24 hours,and do not do if humid weather outside,as it does make a difference. When that is cured,you can paint with a semi gloss bright white. Good luck,you will be surprise how it livens up your decor,especially against a neutral color,very classy👍

Use Citristrip a safe non-toxic remover ,clean and allow to dry before you paint
  • Chubby58

Agree with Tilly. You can also put liquid sander over it after you have cleaned it well, then proceed with your primer and paint.
  • 2dogal

Easy Peasy - Use TSP found in the paint department. Wash the molding well with it. NO need to sand after. Paint with a good quality paint that has a primer in it to make sure the stain does not bleed through.
  • Janel Lowe

I just changed my wood from dark brown to very light gray. I sprayed with household bleach. Waited ten minutes, then rinsed with water. Actually bleached the wood to natural wood. Some places after drying required second bleaching. I waited until I knew the wood was dry then used a solid stain that has a primer/sealer/stain all in one. LOVE THE LOOK.