Is it better to use wood or metal for railings in front of house?

+4
  • Jay Paden Jay Paden on Sep 28, 2017
    Metal is durabl, wood has to be kept up painted
  • Tammy Tammy on Sep 28, 2017
    Metal will cost more on the onset but will last longer and require less upkeep.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 28, 2017
    Its not a matter of better,it is a matter of preference and the style of your home and what will be easier maintenance for you
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Sep 28, 2017
    Here is a site for vinyl porch railings: http://www.vinylporchrails.com/
    If you have the funds I would go with wrought iron railings that are powder coated. If not, I would choose vinyl over wood. They only require washing with soap and water and hold up very well. I would love wrought iron at the front porch but it is pricey.
  • Dee Gonyea Dee Gonyea on Sep 28, 2017
    Be sure to keep the style of the house in mind when deciding. I agree with Chubby58.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Sep 28, 2017
    Metal lasts much longer, but is more expensive. It really depends upon the look of the front of your house as which would be a better match.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Sep 28, 2017
    If the steps or porch is wood, then wood. If brick consider wrought iron. Remember the metal will eventually require painting. Vinyl eliminates future up keep. A lot depend on the style of the house. A picture would help.