What size door would I need?

+4
I have a 36" wide hallway and want to build a wall with a door in it. What size door would I need?

• Dennis Paugh Dennis Paugh on Sep 28, 2017
    Depends on the door but for a standard door you might be able to get away with 30" door just remember you need at the very least your rough opening to be 2 to2 and a half inches larger then your door if your walls are plumb

• This will help you out. Any contractor or handyman worth their salt will know this.

• William William on Sep 28, 2017
    Dennis is correct. 30" would be the largest door you can use. But you don't need as large a rough opening as he states. You would need a 2x4 on each side of the door opening. That would be about 3". Then the door jamb is about 3/4" thick. That would be about 2". Combine the 3" of 2x4's and 2" door jamb would be about 5". Leaving you with about 1/2" to 1" on each side of the door jamb to plumb and level the door.
  • Jay Paden Jay Paden on Sep 28, 2017
    allYou have to have is 1 1/2" larger than the opening to get the frame in.......... that would be a 32" door that takes shiming and as said above is the wall plume ...……… it won't allow for standard trim on the sides but i have done it many times
  • Sam Sam on Sep 28, 2017
    A 30" prehung door requires a rough opening of 32" x 82".
  • Thanks for everyone's help.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Sep 29, 2017
    If you are asking about the size door to use, I'd ask if you have the carpentry skills to install wall and a door frame. They really have to be exact and level to have the door hang properly.