Kymm Jozwiak
Kymm Jozwiak
  • Cottonwood, AZ
Asked on Sep 28, 2017

What can I do to update old ugly plywood kitchen cabinets

2dogalKir24597184Peg
+6

• Norm Duffy

Buy new doors at Home Depot,This could be costly though or try IKEA!Our original Cuboard doors were also plywood,so my Wife sanded them and restained them'til we changed cupboards that we purchased from IKEA!

You can paint them.

Make sure they are clean and dry. Use acrylic latex paint. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN. Then paint with your color. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• Janet Panos

Hello! Actually, there is a lot that you can do with plain plywood cabinets. Check out the different options at the link I provided below:

• Ebbjdl

Wash and paint them with high-gloss paint. Good Luck!
  • Peg

Replace handles.
  • Kir24597184

Paint and handles can make things look a lot nicer. You could try adding some decorative molding around the edges and paint to match, or the more expensive was would be to replace the doors only, not anything else for an unbelievable good look.
  • Kir24597184

I prefer paint to stain. The plywood grain will always give away a clue that they still plywood. A nice paint job can feel completely different if you add handles after painting. If you paint the inside and out you will be ready for doors if you decide to go one step further. Use the primer paints to get one coat coverage, no matter the color you are trying to hide.
  • 2dogal

I'd strip them, put molding on the doors, then repaint.