Barb
Barb
  • Mariposa, CA
Asked on Sep 28, 2017

How can I protect my 3-yr. old artichoke from cold/snowy winters?

Cori WidenKattywhampusLOLSharon
+2

My hearty artichoke was a champ this year and has several pups!
We have 4 seasons and winters typically are 30-45 degrees, with occasional snow.
Should I cover her or pack something around her?

what have you done in the past if its three yrs old
  • Elaine Fraser

Potato sacks, burlap.
  • Sharon

I would wrap it with a bunch of hay, and wrap it in burlap to insulate it, but artichokes don't normally grow in a snowy climate.
  • KattywhampusLOL

Hello Barb, It never hurts a plant to be covered during the winter cold, and to mulch around them a few inches deep. The following article on artichokes says: "... Some artichoke varieties are frost hardy in zone 7 and above, and can tolerate winter low temperatures as low as 14° F (-10° C) if well-mulched. To overwinter plants in cooler zones, cut them back to 8-10” (20-25 cm) in late October, then cover the stump with 10” (25cm) of straw or dead leaves to protect from frost. In the spring, uncover the stump to let it sprout. ..."
    The article pretty much tells you everything about growing artichokes. Thanks for using HOMETALK for answers, Barb, and good luck :)
  • Cori Widen

I would try burlap!