Asked on Sep 29, 2017

Smell .... of burnt popcorn

Jor16789364Janet PizaroCatherine Anspaugh
+4

My daughter burnt a bag of popcorn to ashes and whole house smells like a old fire pit. I tried few suggestions, but inside of my microwave is still brown and smells. Even thou I left windows open all day long, upstairs still smells... >_<

• FL

"Leave the microwave door open for a couple of hours to air out the microwave. Vinegar can also be used to remove burntpopcornsmell from a microwave. Fill a small bowl halfway full with white vinegar. Put it in the microwave for three to four minutes on high until it steams." Read more here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7187075_do-burned-popcorn-smell-microwave_.html
  • Liz Toone

Fight ashes with more ashes! Get some inexpensive incense sticks and burn them whatever you have the unpleasant odor. Just make sure you buy a scent that you find pleasant and place the burning sticks in a holder and in a safe place. This should fill your house with a beautiful scent and get rid of the burnt popcorn smell.

Try vodka in a spray bottle with about 10 to 20 drops of essential oil mixed in. Spray everything in the house. Furniture, beds, carpeting, clothing, etc. The vodka will evaporate and essential oil scent remains. You may need to repeat. Gardenia, Honeysuckle, and Lavender essential oils work best. The microwave will need to go. The popcorn scent has embedded itself into the plastic and will never go away. Do not use Febreze or similar. It does not remove odors. It encapsulates the odors on a microscopic level. With any type of disturbance the encapsulation breaks and the odors come back.
  • Doanie

Place open plates of diatomaceous earth in the microwave and around the house to help absorb odors.
  • Catherine Anspaugh

Cut a lemon in half and add to a bowl of water. Set this in your microwave and cook on high for 6or 7 minutes. You need to get a lot of steam produced. This steam will let you wipe away any remaining grime and the lemon will clear the smell. As for the smell in the house, I'm afraid fresh air and time are your answer.
  • Jor16789364

Thanks everyone! House smells much better. Still working on the microwave.