Asked on Sep 29, 2017

Refinish an almost antique Gibbard solid mahogany desk

KarenKathy ADoanie

I would like to refinish this desk but I am a bit concerned of the outcome.

Thanks,

Erik

• Doanie

It takes some time and some labor but it is not difficult to bring the piece back to life. If it is not a valuable antique, there is nothing to lose by stripping it, sanding, restaining and then finishing it with many coats of tung oil and rotten stone. You will have a gorgeous piece that is hand rubbed with a richness that can only be achieved the old fashioned way.
  • Kathy A

I wish I could see a picture. Does it need to be refinished or just touched up? I have had good luck with Howard's Restor-a-finish. It comes in a variety of colors including mahogany. You wipe it on, then wipe it off. It puts a low sheen on the wood and covers up little scratches and scuffs as well as cleaning the wood. It is my go to when I need to clean up small furniture, picture frames, and shelves.
  • Karen

You can restore or get creative - is it for you or someone else - there are so many beautiful colors, paints etc