Asked on Sep 29, 2017

How do you get the smell of cat urine out of a polypropylene area rug

Ann MeckeShaleyDianacirce70
+5

Janet Pizaro

try natures miracle available at pet stores
    • Jenny Pelki
      Jenny Pelki

Hasn't always worked for me though.

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Have a wonderful day!

• Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

Start by washing it in straight Lestoil, in hot water. Next check it for the smell. If it still smells, wash again in Lestoil. Now wash it in detergent with hot water, let air dry. If your machine is too small, take it to the laundromat, and put it in a large front loader. Good Luck.
  • Kris Neumann
    Kris Neumann

Spray it with white vinegar.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

I was looking around the web for an answer for you. There is a discussion on another website about this topic - only dog urine, not cat. Some of the people in the discussion seem to know one another - either offline or from online discussions but collectively they recommended Odorcide and washing it outside with a hose. You can read their discussion here:

• Dianacirce70
    Dianacirce70

Zep has a product that works really well getting pet odors out. I get it at Menards
  • Shaley
    Shaley

I was helping a friend of mine with the very problem. Hers was berber and the urine was trapped in between the twisted layers. We tried everything EVEN EMZYME CLEANERS. Nothing touched it, not even a pressure washer. All the different cleaners did a great job on her drive way though, LOL IF yours is not a twist weave, I recommend baking cocoa powder, it is the only thing I found that gets rid of musky old urine from cat spraying everything in our yard. I had a waste basket on my back deck that was nasty from the many visits during the night. I wet the surface sprinkled on the BAKING cocoa powder let it sit scrubbed with tip of broom and rinsed off, it worked ALL the smell was gone. The way I found this out was I went to pick the waste basket up and got the urine on my hands, I ran for the Baking Cocoa powder as I use this for all orders when cooking garlic onions and handling fresh fish. I DO RECOMMEND TRYING THIS IN A TEST SPOT FIRST. AFTER ALL FOR US IT WAS A DO OR TOSS SITUATION.
  • Ann Mecke
    Ann Mecke

Take rug out.or try white viniger