Jewellmartin
Jewellmartin
  • Hometalk Helper

Space Saver: Cutting Counter Clutter

1 Material
$0

The space is there--but badly used. My husband's bathroom counter is a big mess. He's a pretty-neat freak, except in the bathroom. After many years of leaving messes, I am now the neat one, in the bathroom, anyway. But let me show you.
Clean but unorganized.
Clean but unorganized.
I started by throwing up my hands. That didn't get anything done, so I straightened his towel. All of our master bathroom towels are white, and most have a blue stripe. Most of our hand towels are some shade of blue, and all of the washcloths are some shade of white.
An old shelf and simple supplies.
An old shelf and simple supplies.
Since I can't redo the whole bathroom, I'm concentrating on small areas. The shelves I chose were in the garage, and won't be permanently installed. I thought this would give me a chance to play with some of my paint. The short shelf has two flat surfaces and a little trim that I like. I picked out an Apple Barrel brown and a Unicorn SPiT yellow. I also chose to flip the shelf upside down.
Flipping the shelf added interest.
Flipping the shelf added interest.
I tore a piece of sponge off a larger synthetic sponge and poured the yellow USPiT in dribbles on the two shelves. With the sponge dipped into the dribbles as needed, I streaked and splotched the yellow in places all over the shelf except the middle of the shelves. Then I did the same with the brown. Then more yellow, then brown. Then MORE yellow. I might add some blue or green later.
Husband approved.
Husband approved.
My husband liked the first shelves so much, he asked if I could find more. I did, of course, so more of his toiletries will go on the three-shelf wire unit I found in the utility room. I added some blue marbled paper on the shelves on the shorter unit. Everything took me about three hours over two days. It won't take you that long--everything I painted and cleaned out and cleaned up, I did from my bed. But setting it up only took a little while. Happy dude, happy mood!
A different basket.
A different basket.
Another step in making the counter neater. I replaced to tall wire shelf with a wire basket. More to come. 💖

• Two extra shelving units, paint, bit of sponge, a water bottle paint cup, scissors, ble paper, a few plastic baskets  (Everything was around my house so I didn't spend a dime.)

• Marsha smith

I can see that cabinet painted with chalkboard paint..and little messages left to him..ie "put the cap on the toothpaste".."close the toilet lid".."Good Morning", etc
    • Jewellmartin

That’s a good idea. For hubby: Take your medicine. Put your brush away. Kiss your wife. Thanks so much! 😇

• Doreen Purchia

I never saw a clock in a bathroom before. I would use nicer baskets.
    • Jo

I like having clocks everywhere, bathroom especially!!

I love your baskets! I like metal much better--not only because they are not brown!! You can see into them, they're sturdier and able to be decorated many different ways!!