Asked on Sep 29, 2017

Do you know of a good way to cover wood paneling ,possibly wallpaper

B. EnneLois VrnsAmanda


6 answers
  • Or you can paint it.
  • Muriel Frank
    on Sep 29, 2017

    I did this a few years ago. First, I used painters tape and covered all the grooves in the paneling.( of course cleaned the paneling good first). Then put wall size........(if you can still get it), on the whole wall. Use a good quality vinyl wall paper (pre-pasted) . I also mixed some wall paper glue and used a bit of that as well. this worked very good for me would never know there was paneling under it. Hope this helps.
  • Joy30150932
    on Sep 29, 2017

    It is a lot of work but you can fill in the vertical grooves with a wood filler compound, sand the compound so that it is smooth, prime all the wood and then paint with latex paint. My daughter did this and it worked out nicely. If you wallpaper, the grooves may show through.
  • Amanda
    on Sep 29, 2017

    If the paneling has grooves cut into it I am not sure wallpaper is the best choice, but if it is all flat it should work. I would prime and paint it. If you do decide to paint it use a good oil base primer. It works better on wood paneling.
  • Lois Vrns
    on Sep 29, 2017

    Are you looking to change the color of it? If so the best thing would be to use paint. I am also guess that if you wanted to "fill it in"( if its like the 70's wood panels) you probably could use a wall plaster.
  • B. Enne
    on Sep 29, 2017

    You can add wallpaper or paint it. Thicker paper is better, unless you tape the grooves like Muriel suggested. My kitchen was wallpapered and only one seam showed through, if the light hit it a certain way. The grooves were invisible.
    If you paint, use a high adhesion primer. I like Zinsser BIN red label which is shellac's expensive though.
Your comment...