Ron
Ron
Asked on Sep 29, 2017

What is the best way to keep mice away from house and garage?

SusanLinda SikutRembatb
+3

• B. Enne

I was told by an exterminator to remove foundation planting, move compost, fill ALL holes and crevices (even small ones), including on the roof, check weatherstripping, replace screening. If all that fails, you may need to set outdoor traps/bait. Once you walk around, you may be surprised to see how many holes there are.
  • Polly Fuller

cat
  • Amanda

Moth balls help keep them away if you can stand the smell. It works for me in my sheds. First I cleaned them out real well and put some D-Con out.
  • Rembatb

Peppermint oil is a good alternative to keeping mice away as is a good mouse catcher (cats). D-Con and TomCat offer poisons, prevention and mouse catch and release options. https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/rats. http://www.d-conproducts.com/products/
  • Linda Sikut

A few years ago we had a problem with some mice. The neighbors had a rotting shed next to the property line and we're on a corner so we have a very small back yard which the mice came across. We figured out that many years ago we had put in a cord that ran from our computer in our upstairs office outside to the patio on the far side of the garage. Well those little buggers had gotten into the garage and found the tiny wire holes - enlarged them and came into the house. Ugh! I went to patch the holes but someone told me to put steel wool in there first because they would gnaw right through a patch. Sure enough, it worked. We haven't had a mouse since. However, we did also get a cat shortly after that time so that might have helped too! :)

Here's an article with some other ideas. They do mention patching but nothing is said about the steel wool.

• Susan

Try lavender oil w/water mixture.Spritz down counter tops w it. Also, plant marigolds, bugs n rodents hate them!!