Zest it Up
Zest it Up
  • Atascadero, CA

How to Dye Tights With Kool-Aid

$3

Ever watch the TV show Bewitched? Yep, you see where I am going with this- haha. It seems fitting for me to “live up to my name” and rock a bewitching costume for Halloween come this holiday. But I must say I have never been the one to get into all the creepy and scary part of Halloween. I love dressing up- don’t get me wrong. But let’s face it, I’m a scaredy cat and overall just like to think happy
how to dye tights with kool aid
Supplies: 
  • Kool Aid
  • White Tights
  • Water & Pot
how to dye tights with kool aid
First boil your water, you will want to fill your pot with enough water to dunk the entire material in.
how to dye tights with kool aid
Next add your Kool-Aid, the more you add the brighter the color!! I used almost the entire container. 
how to dye tights with kool aid
Dunk away!
how to dye tights with kool aid
Use a spoon (not wooden, then there is less of a chance snagging the tights) to stir the tights. Make sure they are fully coated!
how to dye tights with kool aid
The tights will absorb the color immediately, make sure they look even in all areas (unless you are wanting them to be faded/marble looking)
how to dye tights with kool aid
Let them dry completely, an hour in the sun did the trick for me!
how to dye tights with kool aid
And now time to trick or treat!! I LOVE them, so fun!! Just think of all the fun colors you can make for each holiday- too cute!! Now I am really a bewitched Samantha   
how to dye tights with kool aid
Halloween is near! Hope we inspired you a bit! Tell us your best costume ideas below in the comments!
xo
Sam

• White tights  (Dollar Tree)
  • Kool Aid  (Dollar Tree)
  • Water & Pot  (Had on Hand)
Zest it Up

• Lee Thomas

What is the Aussie equivalent of Cool Aid Is it jelly crystals
    • Zest it Up

Great question! I know you can buy kool aid on Amazon for less than $4. As for the Aussie equivalent, I think jelly crystals would work also!
  • Karen Silva

Do you think this process would work with cotton?
  • Seg4620520

If Kool Aid will die tights....what do you think it does for a persons health???????

• Kaela

pretreating them with soda ash (found in tye dye area of walmart) could probably improve the absorption rate on this. I used it when dying a light pink leotard a deep blue for my daughters super girl costume. Without it.. the leotard came out purple.
    • Zest it Up

Thank you for the tip!! We will definitely be trying that in the future!

• Rose Lacey

I have been using Koolaid for years to dye yarn. Koolaid works best on animal fibres but will also work on plant fibres like cotton and linen, however, the colour will be more muted. Blends like cotton/polyester will produce a mottled heathered effect. Make sure the material is soaked well before the koolaid bath ... The fibres need to relax. You should leave the material in the pot until ALL the Koolaid is absorbed and the water is clear. Stir frequently ... Rinse well in salted cool water ... let dry. Great job!