Asked on Sep 30, 2017

What could be a DIY cover for this insulation ?

CatherineJOANNE SMITHWilliam
+4

My unfinished. basement is used for laundry, workshop, crafts, storage, and ping-pong! I cannot afford framing and drywall. Any ideas what I can use to cover this to make it look better?Thanks
q what could be a diy cover for this insulation
  • Victoria

Shiplap to the rescue! Home Talk had many contributors who have successfully used inexpensive wood as shiplap to cover walls. Once it's painted, perhaps a light color, it will both add soundproofing, and make your room less like a basement.

You can use lauan plywood, glue it on with construction adhesive, then paint.
  • JOANNE SMITH

Paint and stencil the floor. Stretch and staple material with upholstery tacks and even cheaper use drop clothes that come in different sizes. With the back being (I am assuming) foam insulation, you could even tack items for display to the walls, such as your craft projects, ideas, etc. Also, you can stretch material (drop cloth may be too heavy) soaked in liquid starch and then stapped or tacked taunt to the walls. The starch gives it a little more stability and ease of cleaning.
  • Catherine

The fabric looks really great! Thanks