Cheryl Markus Reynolds
Cheryl Markus Reynolds
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Easton, PA
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

Looking looking for suggestions to refurbish a wicker clothes hamper.

Linda Wood YountDonna C.Yvonne Straight
+8

The bottom braiding has come off and it's starting to fray in the front. I currently can't take a picture of it so I've included a Stock photo.
q looking looking for suggestions to refurbish a wicker clothes hamper
  • Annie

If you still have the braiding, can you glue it back on? Otherwise, maybe find some other trim that you like and would compliment the hamper...then glue that to the edge.
  • Flipturn

Staple easy-to-vacuum dense fabric or easy-to-clean vinyl over the old wicker. You will need to fold the edges under first, so that they do not fray, and to use a heavy duty stapler, to ensure that the staples are strong enough to go through the thick layers.
  • Anita

they sell many edgings in the fabric stores.. ruffles and wider trims. If you can't find one wide enough buy enough to double it.. Hot glue gun might be the best option.. If the wicker is fraying the hot glue gun would help stop that..
    depending on the look you are after..
  • Yvonne Straight

This was an ugly pink hamper! I spray painted all exposed trim, then took decorator fabric and covered the lid and the wicker. trim can then be glued on exposed edges to finish it.
    , This was an ugly pink wicker hamper I spray painted all exposed trim then took decorator fabric to cover the lid and wicker using spray glue Then trim was hot glued over the exposed edges
  • Donna C.

I didn't refurbish mine but I did stay paint it dark grey and put it on my porch. We use it for recycling. It is way nicer then the bin the trash co. gives you and it's close by.
    • Ellis

That's a great idea! I hope you don't mind if I steal it; it would be handy for gardening tools, etc., too.
  • Linda Wood Yount

Paint and some cute trim