Margaret
Margaret
  • Kansas City, MO
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

Can someone help me with a protector, to lay over my carpeted stairs?

MargaretB. EnneNancy Flemming
+2

We clean our carpets, and within a week or so, the stairs have spots on them. I found two different looks on Amazon and Improvements websites. They are made out of cloth, but the material isn't very heavy. Also, it is washable. Since I need two, they are out of my budget. They are called Carpet or Floor Protector. You can cut them, to your desired length.

• Sharon

I would asking where are the spots coming from? the bottom of dirty shoes, then I would put a mat at the door inside or outside for people to wipe their shoes. If people are carrying drinks up the stairs, then I would get some covered mugs/glasses with straws for folks to use if they are carrying them around the house.
    For spots I use Dollar Tree Homestore Foam Carpet Cleaner and a soft brush. I use this for all my clients homes.
  • Nancy Flemming

Do you want to keep the carpeted stairs? I would be concerned with tripping. We ended up removing our carpet and staining our stairs as they were made of fir, I loved it and easy to keep clean. (since moved)
    My friend painted her stairs going darker on treads and handrail with white risers and spindles, it looked very smart, sorry I don't have picutres.
  • B. Enne

I'm wondering the same thing, and agree with the 2 comments above.
    Homes with carpeting are better off as "no shoe" zones. Slippers or indoor shoes help GREATLY.
    Secondly, often DIY carpet cleaning solutions attract dirt...speaking from experience: laundry detergent, soap and shaving cream are the worst! I have a very light beige carpet in a high traffic area/entrance. I would use shaving cream to remove the spots and DIY solutions, and the carpet would be dirty right away. If you want DIY stick to steaming and a vinegar solution, no soap. The best I have found for spot treatments is Folex. It is cheaper and wonderful!!! Resolve for carpets is my 2nd choice.
    I had a runner, and it was a pain to clean, and wore out the carpet underneath.
  • B. Enne

There are these ones, but they aren't made to be used long term, and I would be afraid that they would let go from daily use, and cause an accident.

Keep away from the vinyl ones They will destroy your carpet, and are dangerous,
  • Margaret

T