Christine P
Christine P
  • Newton, NJ
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

Why don't my brussels sprouts get big.

ShoshanaJaoulaoeBijous

Grew four brussels sprouts in a raised 4 x 6 bed. Sprouts on bottom of plant were a decent size last week of Sept but the ones halfway up the plant to the top of the plant were either tiny or almost non-existent. What did I do wrong ? Also, should I stake them next year??? Do they need ALOT of water?

• Bijous

The plant was concentrating on growing tall and not producing sprouts. Next time, pinch down after planting and periodically throughout the growing period. Produce great at a height of about 2-1/2 ft. tall. They don't need a lot of water, but they don't like to be bone dry either.
  • Jaoulaoe

brussel sprouts require a lot of fertilization and water. After all, it is in the cabbage family. Check with your local county extension office for some fact sheets on how to properly grow brussel sprouts in your area/region.
  • Shoshana

Keep us posted on what works!