Broken DVD Countertop, a Labor of Love

$200

Well, hubby and I have modern industrial and somewhat retro tastes. We've been in the process of remodeling our kitchen and while working on a hydraulic shelf that will come down from the ceiling, hubby took a break and started watching some videos. He saw a gorgeous floor done with pennies and showed it to me. Although I loved it, it wasn't feasible for our mobile home. I remembered seeing a video of a table someone made with CDS and after a Google search, found it and showed it to hubby. HE LOVED IT! We decided to go with it for a portion of our countertop and it turned out better than what we ever expected. Below is the picture of our strange little kitchen after we took out some cabinets. The long counter in the bottom of the picture is what we decided to cover with the discs.
After researching the project, we decided to use DVDS instead of CDS because of the luminous shine. The CDs are very pretty but the colors are a bit more muted than the DVD. The first part of the project was purchasing the DVDS and separating the shiny foil side from the plastic side. Oh my! What a chore!!
Using a pair of kitchen shears, I cut the side of the DVD and using my fingernails, slowly separated the two sides. I tried my best to keep as much foil on one side of the DVD but sometimes the disc just didn't cooperate. It's not an issue as once the disc is separated, we just cut the plastic part that we wanted. Once you have all your discs separated, you will need to cut them up. It's not easy going and sometimes they break but for us, it didn't matter, we used different shapes and sizes, even using some that parts of the foil came off. I will say that if you can, try to avoid touching the color, it leaves marks and finger prints.
Once we had all of the discs sperated and cut up, I painted the countertop with a dark grey porch and patio paint that we had leftover from another project. I started with just a small part at a time. The different tutorials on this project said to glue down the pieces of DVD but none shared what type of glue so I started with just plain old Elmer's white glue. It was messy going and I often got glue on the color side and knew it was going to be quite time consuming to clean off. Hubby suggested that I use a paint brush and brush the glue over the paint and then lay my pieces down. Sounded like a good idea at the time and I tried that but it was still messy and I found out that once the glue dried, you could peel it off ( made me feel like a kid when I used to put glue on the palms of my hands just so I could peel it off 😀). I knew that trying to peel off the dried glue from around the discs was going to be a problem. I thought to myself, what if, I laid the DVDs down while the paint was still wet? I tried that and it was genius!! I was able to work quick and I didn't have to worry about cleaning off the glue. We both decided that we were not going to need to grout it and once we poured the epoxy resin, the discs were not going anywhere!
Once all the discs were laid out, we decided to put a border up. We were going to wait until after we poured the epoxy but realized that a border would help contain the resin. Hubby went to the hardware store and picked up some aluminum border. We're using paintable wallpaper on our ceiling and decided to wrap the border with the same. After thinking it though, we realized that the edge of the border, covered in wallpaper, would tear over use so back to the store hubby went. He went to the auto parts store and picked up some door trim used for cars. Brilliant idea! It just slid right onto the edge and gave the countertop a finished look.
Final and daunting step was to pour the epoxy resin. We utilized the help of a friend that had experience. He mixed it up and poured it out. Some of the other tutorials say to use a hairdryer to get the air bubbles out of the resin but we just used a spreader to even out the epoxy and the air bubbles came out on their own.
72 hours later, after the epoxy has cured, we have a beautiful, unique countertop 😀. I am sure that I have forgotten something in my tutorial so feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them as quickly and concisely as possible.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Uzp7123685

What abt dust getting in between cracks ???
    • Susan Snyder

If you mean dust getting in between the pieces of DVDs, that won't happen as they are completely encased in the clear epoxy that was poured over the entire surface. The clear epoxy (when dry) gives the counter a "smooth as glass" finish.
    • Jewellmartin

Since the counter was painted gray first, and the separated DVDs are so thin, there is no need for grout. Yet the counter will look 3D because of the reflection and refraction of the DVDs. No dust. Super idea. 😇
    • Uzp7123685

Thanks for clearing the doubt .....😊will try definitely 🤗
  • Sarah Sota

I didn't understand "peeling" Does that mean that the DVDs are made in two layers? The inside is bright colors also?
    • Iml28903180

Where does it say "peeling"? I don't see where she explains anything. I just see pictures.
    • WL Ware

I think she was referring to peeling glue from her hands, but then decided she didn't need glue any way.

• Cat Shaw

Yes, the DVDs are in two layers, CDs on the other hand, only have one. I would have to review my tutorial to understand what question you might have on the peeling unless I have answered your question. Let me know.
    • Sarah Sota

Sorry, I had peeling in my head about the DVDs. I have never worked with them but your project makes me have all kinds of ideas. Thank you. I love your counter tops! How about drawer fronts on an old dresser?;)
  • Jan29145108

Does this Parks epoxy resin yelling w over time?? Thank you
    • Cat Shaw

Not that I am aware of. It's long lasting. I have been in bars before that have an epoxy resin counter top with photos or pennies and such under the resin. I have never seen it yellowed.
  • Jennifer

Shiny and sparkly, WOW!! Does everyone want to touch it, I know I would! I love your labor of love!
    • CukaFig

I know, I'm in love with it
    • Cat Shaw

Awww, thanks you guys😊😊😊😊! I touch it all the time 😂!
  • CukaFig

Omg... I love it, its my kind of fabulous !!! I have a question,  was wondering can I do this to a cheap plastic outdoor side table? I just love the look. Thank you!
    • Cat Shaw

I can't imagine why you would not be able to upgrade your outdoor side table 😊 I know that it sounds like a lot of hard work but it's not really. Once you get the hang of it, it just like doing a puzzle. I felt a little leery about doing the epoxy resin, having no experience, but after watching my friend pour it out and spread it, I know that I, as well as any novice, can do it. I hope you do try it, I would love to see your finished project! 😀
    • CukaFig

I'm going to try it. Thank you!
  • Margien Burns

Hi. I am a little confused about the Elmer's Glue. Did you end up not using it at all and instead only used the wet paint to "glue" the DVDs to do the counter top? Thanks.
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Margien,

That's exactly what I did. I placed the broken pieces of the DVDs right down onto the wet paint. The pieces are thin and the paint, once dry, holds the DVD in place.

• Wendy

So you don't need Elmer's glue as one of your materials, right?
    • Cat Shaw

Some tutorials say to glue down your pieces and if you plan to grout, I would definitely glue down the pieces. I didn't grout and therefore, I didn't glue down my pieces. I just laid them down in the wet paint. I hope that clarifies.
  • Mary

Where can I find the instructions for this project?
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Mary,

My tutorial should walk you through it. If you have additional questions, I will try to answer them.
  • Loan

Love this!!! How do u keep the epoxy from running off the edge? How much epoxy did you buy for the project and how large was the area?
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Loan,
      We used an aluminum border screwed into the side of the counter and layed down a tarp underneath because it will drip. We used 5 quarts for roughly 30 square feet.

• Scotia Wade

Is the top safe for food that you may have to lay on the counter
    • Cat Shaw

Well that's a mighty good question that I don't have an answer for. I don't use the countertop for any food preparation and although the epoxy is very very hard, I would not want to try to cut steak on it.
  • Mare Tupper

Did you say that you peeled them apart? How did you do that? Can't you just cut up the discks??
    I love this!
    • Cat Shaw

hHi Mare, CD'S only have one layer but aren't as luminous as the DVDS. The DVDS have two layers so, yes, you do have to peel them apart. If you try to just cut them, you will have jagged, uneven pieces.
  • Charlotte

Isn't the counter top difficult to clean? Did you lay plastic/glass/plexiglass down afterwards? Is the counter top smooth or can you feel the ridges of the DVD pieces? This idea is absolutely amazing and I love it! I'm curious about how long this took and how long your counter was out of commission?
    • Cat Shaw

The epoxy resin is like a hard plastic, it's very smooth and easy to clean with any all-purpose cleaner. The DVDS are underneath the resin. Imagine an insect inside of a piece of Amber and you get the idea. I am one of those people that cannot stop until I finish so for me, the counter top was out of commission for just a few days. I work quickly 😀.
    • Charlotte

I do that too. I can't think straight until what I started is finished! Lol
      It's very beautiful. Thank you for sharing this unique and gorgeous idea! ❤
  • Charlotte

Also, is it fully waterproof and non toxic? Seems a great idea for the bottom of a fish tank also!
    • Cat Shaw

It's fully waterproof and non toxic. I had to double check the epoxy resin box to make sure of toxicity. It's not meant for food prep though. I wouldn't want to scratch it up. I don't see why you couldn't put this idea to work in the bottom of a tank. Be sure to make sure the epoxy gets into all the corners of your fish tank though and let it cure for at least 3 days.
  • Karen

Awesome!!! Definitely want to try thiS....how is the epoxy holding up over time?
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Karen, we just finished this countertop about a week ago, I do know that it's used in many bars though and holds up really well.
  • Kathi Roberts

Your counter is beautiful. Do you know if epox resin will hold up outdoor? I have a table outside that I'd like to do this to.
    • Cat Shaw

Once the epoxy resin is cured I can't imagine why it would not hold up outside. I say, give it a shot 😀
  • Jos21444234

Would you recommend trying this on a glass top table? What could I use for edge/border?
    • Cat Shaw

Well, I would give it a shot! You could get creative with the border. There's rollable tin that you could use, you could use a hot glue gun to make a border, you could use River rocks on the top of the table, all around the edge, sky is endless! Think outside of normal borders and I know you will think of something really cool!
    • Barb in Texas

You can just run duct tape around the edge to make a dam, pour, then remove the duct tape.
  • Brenda

would this work on flooring? say mixed in with a concrete floor? what opinions are out there
    • Sue Wilson Ford

I don't think it would work as flooring, I'm sure that with use, over time it would scratch.

• Oli26531257

Hi there I absolutely loved what u created .... can I do this on a wall with a pink paint on the wall and cd pieces on top . Please guide me . Than
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Olivia,

First of all, thanks so much! Now, as far as doing it on a wall, I don't think you would be able to use the epoxy. You could try painting the wall first, use super glue to set the discs onto the wall once the paint dries, and use a clear coat of some kind. I don't know how well that would work because you'd have the edges of the dvd sticking out. I don't know of any product that would go over the DVD.
    • Oli26531257

Thank you so much really appreciate that you replied 💕
    • Nadine

You could buy 4x8 plywood, paint it pink, create your design, add border and then pour your resin. Once everything is dry, then hang it on your wall.
    • Debra

Nadine, great idea & Cat Shaw thanks for the inspiration, genius!
  • Delicia Ambrosino

I was wondering what the purpose was for "splitting" the DVD's apart and peeling them? Wouldn't it have been easier to just cut, snap/break them and then go from there? I know more acrylic/poly/epoxy would have had to been used probably. Hieroglyphic paper probably could be used if you were just going for that couldn't it? In any case I LOVE what you did and think it one totally awesome idea. Oh, ignore the comments about Nature Valley...lol. TY Delicia
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Delicia, you could certainly try to just snap, cut or break the DVDs without splitting them, however, in my experience, they don't snap or break. They bend pretty good 😀. If you try to cut the disc into little pieces without separating the two sides, the pieces will be jagged, uneven and more plastic than luminous shine. I'm not sure if I am even explaining this concisely 😕. I suppose hieroglyphics paper might have the same effect with less effort. I didn't try it nor think of it😉
  • Patty

I didn't know you could separate the DAD's into 2 pieces. So one side has the foil on it? Did you have to put another coat of paint to hold the pieces down? It's beautiful.
    • Cat Shaw

Yes, one side of the DVD, once separated, has the shiny foil on it. I only used one layer of paint, working in small batches, while the paint was wet, I laid down the pieces. Once the paint was dry, those DVDs were not going anywhere. Even moreso, once the epoxy was poured, they were really stuck😀
  • Andrea Braden

Hi Cat, Why did you separate the dics apart? Did you split them and then have two discs, like front and back of a disc? I am a bit confused as I have never tried to split a disc. Sorry. l Maybe someone can set me straight on this. Thanks Andrea
    • Cat Shaw

Andrea, I am so sorry, for some reason, I just got your question. If you work with CDs, you don't have to split them apart but DVDs, you will need to. The shiny luminous shine is actually a type of foil. When you separate them, you'll want to have the pieces as thin as possible. Hence the need to separate the sides. I hope you I answered this for you 😀
  • Colleen wilkerson

Could you do this to a desk top?
  • Lorrainemstack

Totally different and unique. Great idea. How long did it take you to do this?
  • Laura Finley

Could you use the entire DVD, or could you use records if you are a, music fan
    • Cat Shaw

Hi Laura, I don't see why you couldn't you the whole DVD or even records if you wanted to. It all depends on the look you are trying to achieve. If you are a big music fan then I say go for it! The records won't give you the luminous shine that the DVDS will although you could paint them first if you wanted to.
  • Jefferie

Can this be done on grout lined counter tops?
    • Cat Shaw

I think that it would work Jefferie, I painted my countertop first because I hated the ugly yellow color. If you like the tile color, you could just lay the DVDs down. The epoxy is self leveling for the most part and will fill in the grout lines.

• Judithcausey

What is the hydraulic counter going to be used for? When it comes down, how much of the kitchen does it cover?
    • Cat Shaw

Hi there, the shelf holds all of the kitchen gadgets and also the heavier items that I don't want to bend down to pick up. I have the 10 lb bags of flour and sugar and also all my pastas, rice and beans up there too. The shelf sits in the center of my kitchen ceiling. It's 6 ft by 4 ft.
  • Sle_ensor

How many dvds did it take and how large is the countertop? Looks awesome

• Sle_ensor

• Sle_ensor

• Kimberly Smith

How much epoxy does that take?

• Cat Shaw

The boxes are 32 fluid ounces and and that covers 6.4 square feet. We used 6 boxes 🙂

• Maude LaFountain

Are you able to lay food on this ?.....I have never used EPOXY before ...even though I have a gallon jug of the EPOXY and HARDENER in my craft room I just haven't found anything to use it on yet ...

• Ndungey

Gorgeous!

• Jewellmartin

Cat, your patience and diligence paid off beautifully.

And Maude, make sure you have clearly marked measuring cups for the epoxy. Then walk through your house and garden finding objects to epoxy, a few ounces at a time. A welcome sign, a cross, a plastic frog, a clay Buddha. You will probably enjoy using epoxy as much as I do.

Best wishes, ladies! ☺️

• Ruthann Nissly Martinez

Why did you have to separate the plastic part of the DVD’s?

• Ruggsvillecounty

I'm only guessing here, but I do know that when you try to break a dvd, it will explode, going everywhere. Perhaps cutting around the edges to seperate to layers makes it that much easier to cut into pieces.

• Derri

How does this withstand heat and scratching ? Can you put anything hot on it up to a certain temperature ? Does it yellow over time ? Thanks it looks beautiful

• Jo

Yes these are my questions also--my experience with the epoxy is that in MY case it yellowed randomly over time and also cracked at one point (on a wooden tabletop which I guess was not absoultley rock solid) it will also "DYE" if you leave something on it that is wet --like a magazine- or any colored paper. Other than that it's been on a couple of my tabletops for 10plus years ..don't know about putting anything hot on it!

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

This is from the sheet that came in my Envirotex lite epoxy box. it addresses the heat and scratching problems. I didn't find anything about yellowing. I haven't noticed any yellow in my projects the oldest is about a year now.

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Jo, rubbing alcohol or a product called Awesome at the dollar tree will remove any dye from damp things that stain. I use it all the time on my white laminate counter top. even sharpie marker is gone with the Awesome

• Teresa

Is it food safe?

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Depending on the brand you get yes. look for one that is made for Bar tops. I just used some epoxy a few days ago and in the instructions it says after fully cured it is food safe. just don't cut on it, it will scratch.

• Queenme62

how many boxes if resin did you use

• Ellen

• June

I have a table I want to try this on. Did I understand you correctly that you ended up not having to use any glue at all, just the paint when it was still wet?

• Clergylady

Your use of dvds is ingenious. I also like the metal used as a border. The look you've achieved would be pretty on just my high bar area. It would over power my tiny gray kitchen I'd done on all the counters. In my sky blue bathroom I'm doing everything but go white to bring in light. This treatment is bright and attractive. I might do it there before deciding permenatly on the high bar in the kitchen. The bar is just a bit over 12" wide. We plan to eat breakfasts or quick meals there and have the coffee maker, cups, and supplies at one end of the bar.

I'm an artist in love with color and design. We just purchased a 16x56 1 bedroom, 1 bath home. I'm completely doing away with the blah beige. Painting every room a new color. Sometimes mixing my own to get just what I want. It looks pretty and not too unusual 'till you look into cupboards with bright colors inside. The upper cabinet doors have blackboard inside. Lowers match the cupboards inside.

I'm refinishing a table I found free on the side of a street where it's owners had left several things when they moved. I wish I'd been able to take more things. Great possibilities but I lived and hour away and just couldn't load them without help.

My little community has new people moving in. They want to make this an artsy destination place. I think that could be a lot of fun. Once we're settled into this new home on my property I'd like to make crazy yard art from found objects and perhaps paint murals on some of building. A tiny shop with your dvd epoxy countertop would be perfect.

Thanks for a great idea.

• Clergylady

Yes. She said they stuck on the wet paint. That was smart.

• Sue Rutherford

Anyone have any ideas for a kitchen floor and a concrete porch floor?

• Maxine

When we built our new home we had the contractor do concrete floors in part of the house. He did a GREAT job !!!! I am so please!! It is brown hues with just a touch of blue and tan. Everyone that sees it loves it. I am a grandma so the kids are careful but if they spill it wipes right up and having a perfect dog if she would have an accident not a problem. They kids love to slide on it with their socks on. When I want to move heavy furniture I just slip a wash cloth under thee feet and it is much easier... the concrete will scratch but they buff out....

• Cathy Waterstradt

concrete i would do the contractor paper floor if it were me. i was going to do it for my kitchen n bath but it takes time n just kitchen is too big not to be used for that long at a time. not that is that we have to walk thru kitchen to shower.

• Berta

I tiled my front porch it was stain and ugly and two days later it was beautiful the only thing I warn bout use a glaze tile but a roughy would have been better but put down rubber mats so no one would slip in snow months.

• Marshmellow Mack

Awesome. What a wonderful idea! I wonder what that would look like on the wood of your dropped ceiling? Or maybe the paintable wallpaper?

• Barbie Fleischaker

How much Super Glaze did you have to use?

• Tina

Love this idea and will do it! I do have a question, though before I try it. Why separate the DVD'S like you did, why not just cut them up and use them as is cut up?

• Mary Clark

It's nearly impossible to break them. You'd have to use a band saw or something. Also, I think they wanted to keep the depth to a minimum so they didn't have to grout.

• Tammy Burrill

Yeah it's not as easy as you think to cut them up. To do a few together you'd have to be stronger then any human I've met

• P.j. Gale

So you didn't use glue? you just painted the counter top and the dvd s stuck okay? I also live in a mobile home and i also want to do this

• Tammy Burrill

If the paint isn't dry when you start to place the broken disks they should stick.

• Janet Chadwick-Tafoya

do you think i will work for backsplash?

• Tammy Burrill

I was thinking the same thing. Might if you glue them in place

• Kathleen

You can’t pour resin on a vertical surface. Perhaps you could use a thin plywood or mdf board cut to fit, then work on a flat surface. You would need some kind of edging to contain the resin until dry. You’d probably have to glue this onto the backsplash or predrill holes to screw it on.

• Bethie Marie

Going to have to cut them up to shape what you want filled as backsplash then use tile adhesive kinda like your tiling your wall then let dry and then use grout so leave slight gaps between pieces of disks so you can grout it then use old rag to wipe grout from discs just make it’s filled all small gaps let dry and should be good to go.

• Bethie Marie

Dollar store gem backsplash part 2 by Alicia W has a video on here how she tiled her wall with gems should be same concept like I explained

• Bethie Marie

Or I also just thought you could modpodge it to the wall they sell modpodge in different types like glossy etc. I’d just modpodge to wall then do like 2 more coats of modpodge over it after dried between gluing down n then coating sorry for all the ideas just trying to help you out to achieve what you’re looking to do. YouTube it I’m sure you can find something. 😉

• Mcgypsy9

As Kathleen above stated...YOU CAN NOT POUR RESIN OVER IT IF IT IS ON A WALL. You would have to cut thin board to fit the wall space and work everything on the board first, then attach that to your wall space.

• Maria Ayala

Can you do this on a coffee table, just curious...a friend wants to know..

• Steph Tram

Will this epoxy yellow over time?

• Tammy Baker

My Lord woman, that is gorgeous! Just my style and I've been saving a little side table to do that same thing on. It's round and I'm not sure what I can use to it how to get an edge on it so the epoxy don't run off while drying...question is ..how many fans did you use of it. Cost runs from $20 to $30 ? The link said 75 on the product label and yours had a 60... I absolutely have to do this ..or my life won't be complete ! Haha Thank you for putting this on here, and the paint color is PERFECT...I could not decide if I wanted to paint my table blue.. or what. Now I'm leaning to slate gray.. Well done !!

• Tammy Baker

• Uma Maheswar

Good Evening my Child,

Indeed it is a wonderful and amazing idea.

But why to cut them in to so many small pieces.

I realize, it is done to get good look and perfect color reflection.

But still I feel it can be done in squares, triangles and using the whole disk in between.

This minimizes the number of pieces to be cut.

Apologies, if I am wrong.

Can you please detail the actual cost involved for the CD's (hope you remember the number), Glue and Epoxy. Because these are very costly here in India.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful idea and the design.

Regards and blessings

Uncle- Uma

• Claudette Lavigne

Approximately how many disc did you use for the project? My counter space is smaller so it will give me an idea how much to buy and I'm guessing it's a multi-color pack? This idea just might pick up my kitchen as my cupboards are black and I have silver items. I would get the trim silver. The gold looks great.

• Loudmouthwoman59

What kind of wear and tear is tolerated to resin. I’m interested in this project but how careful do you have to be to keep from scratching and damaging the countertop?

• Patty

Did you have a problem with the resin getting thicker in some places?

• Barbrie

Beautiful! I wonder if it would work for a powder room floor.

• Nancy de la Fuente

Did it “yellow”. For you? I did a small table, light colors With fabric that matched my throw pillows and the epoxy has a yellow hue .

• Melody

Is there a way to cut the pieces of the disc all the same? Like a diamond, or square, or circle shape... instead of just in so many pieces?

• Barb

I never could get uniform cuts in CD's though I tried

• Nancy Massi

Possibly a jigsaw, but I've never tried it.

• Ricki

Walmarts has plastic templates in many shapes, for quilting. Seems like they would work for this. I dont know how thick the disc are after splitting them, but if thin enough, you might consider a die cutting machine. I have 5, from my very first ellison, which i would use and save wear and tear on my others. You can buy used or cheap everywhere since the introduction of the fancy models. Which i also own!

Ricki

• Ricki

You know, i was just thinking. A bunch of years ago i bought tools for woodworking. Then i got for xmas, (i just Love my dh and son) a lite weight set of bandsaw, a small wheel saw, all cordless, and small, but fits a womans hand and less tiring than the mens, and cheaper. I believe that bandsaw would be perfect for this.

Ricki

• Lifestyles Homes

Bandsaw would be safest, I think. Also consider a table saw or radial arm saw with a very fine toothed blade, made for cutting veneer.

The challenge is safely holding on to the media without cutting your fingers.

I’m still thinking about what to use as a tool to avoid the finger/danger.

Goggles needed for this.

• Sally Clark

I love your counter top. I have to think of something I can do this on. It will drive me crazy whileI try to come up with a project. By the way where did you get the disks? Would some place like Game Stop have enough disc that need recycling to ask them?

• Brianinbc

Looks like a package of blank discs in the list, just buy the cheapest you can since you won't be recording on them. WalMart, dollar stores, or how about yard sales or open markets. The other thought I have is to check out garage/sidewalk sales in the neighborhood in case you might find some old CD/DVD's for free or next to it... it won't matter if they are recorded I expect.

Good luck...

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes. My Salvation Army Store has them in their jewel boxes for $1,

& would ask them if they’re going to throw away some, to save them for me for 25¢.

• Lifestyles Homes

Well done! The car door trim was genius.

What will you do for trivets? I’m excited to see what you create.

• Rose

I love this look! but was wondering if you have to really baby the countertop so you don't scratch it or mar it in some way.

• Nancy

I wonder if using a heat gun might help when separating the discs?

• Teresa

AWESOME!!!! YES, THE CAR TRIM WAS BRILLIANT!! OH MY GOODNESS, I bet separating the DVDs was terribly time consuming and frustrating but what beauty they are! Just a thought, but I was wondering if you were going to continue the very top counter and eventually even the other counter's in your kitchen to match?

• Cho7901566

Awesome, if you want your kitchen to look like a strip club bar!!!

• Claudette

I would like to do a small table with shells of all shapes. Will the glaze dry smooth?

• Deanna

How do you know how much epoxy to get?

• Betsy Stevens

Beautiful Counter, I've broken a couple of discs and notice they all look purple when I pulled the foil side off, Not colors like what you have. I purchased Memorex DVD's, please tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

• Sonya

Use CDs instead of blank DVDs. CDs are iridescent; that’s when you see all of the colors in a prism.

• Cynthia cleek

That looks so beautiful , question...can you work prepare meals etc off of it ?

• Jaswan

They used a resin top so actually it's like a bar top- sealed surface and food safe- easy to clean and disinfect! You can use any item in place of cds- it's the resin that provides the hard sealed surface

• Sas43752985

I really need step by step instructions on this I'm not understanding the taking CD apart. Just please send me step by step instructions. I'm wanting to do my bathroom counter top. Thanks

• Suzannewaz

Take another look at picture #2 and #3 and their instructions. By cutting the disc, you should be able to see that they consist of 2 layers. Peel them apart, try using your fingernail to get it started. I wonder if there isn't some confetti or other colorful materials that could be used instead which would be easier. Check around dollar stores and anything that catches your eye (foil windmills; wrapping paper; paper plates; etc). The resin is the important part in keeping everything in place and safe to use.

• LaDonna

Sounds beautiful, I really loved the cd look I think I’ll mix it up and do some different things like some end tables and try something else like the confetti on another item! Great ideas!

• Carole Atson

Two things.

1. Why do the CDs have to be separated?
      2. Looks great but I think it would be better in a different room (just my opinion)
  • Age15383249

AMAZING!!

• Karen Stutzman

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm thinking a the top of a sewing/crafting table?!?! 🤔

• Miss Marla

Love this idea. I'd try to use damaged DVDs like the ones my kids used to "skate " across the carpet with. But could you use Mylar? Or prism paper? Too.

• Christina

WOW 😮

• Debra Meade

What a great and soooooo beautiful idea. How much time did it take to cut up then lay the DVDs?

• Lou's Bits&Bobs

This is beautiful a labour of love...working with cds lol ive done a canvas...i thought about you..thinking how did you do this...every time i see this it makes me smile ....so i guess when you see this counter your very happy with it to..such a wow factor thanks for shareing.. Well done it fab