Asked on Sep 30, 2017

I need to replace or cover the top of an old garden table .

Mar30619591Nancy TurnerBijous


It currently has uneven wood slates.

3 answers
  • Bijous
    on Sep 30, 2017

    Cover with cement board. Go to box store and ask if they have any broken tiles they'll sell real cheap. If not go to Salvation Army and buy cheap china. Break up and make your own fun design. Use mastic to glue down and fill with either exterior caulk or grout (seal as necessary). Enjoy!
  • Nancy Turner
    on Sep 30, 2017

    If the rest of the table is worth saving, get treated or marine plywood of a decent thickness and it will last for years. Marine plywood is not cheap, but it really does last for years, it is heavy and durable and you can stain or paint it the way you want and the weather will not affect it. You will probably have to paint it more than a few times before the wood shows any problems. We just redid the floors in a 1989 fishing boat with new marine plywood and carpeting this summer and there were some places the wood was almost brand new looking. I know it hadn't been replaced because the people who had it didn't take care of anything on the boat.
  • Mar30619591
    on Sep 30, 2017

    That's a great idea..... Thank you so much!!
Your comment...