Misty
Misty
  • Moncks Corner, SC

Lamp Makeover: How to Spray Paint a Brass Lamp

One item I come across a lot in my thrift shopping are these old tarnished brass lamps. Most of them work great but just look yucky with all that tarnish. The good news is I can pick them up usually pretty cheap and with a little paint, I can give that old lamp new life!
I picked up two of these babies for $15 on my local area Yard Sale Facebook page…which I admit I am totally addicted to. I've got a friend moving in town soon, so I grabbed one for myself and one for him, so I’ll do another paint job on that one that is more in style with what he likes.
This is how the project turned out but if you'd like to see the full description along with what products I used, you can see the full detail at http://www.paintyourfurniture.com/lamp-makeover-how-to-spray-paint-a-brass-lamp/
lamp makeover how to spray paint a brass lamp, lighting, painting, repurposing upcycling
My yucky yard sale find, tarnished but in great shape.
Removed all the main pieces and taped it up.
Primed
Primed
Painted with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint.
And the final painted lamp on top of my newly painted buffet table/dresser.

• Terrie

Where did you get your shade? It's lovely. tbbvst@yahoo.com

• Leanne Wilkin

This looks great. A question though. What did you use for the crystal effect fringe on the shade?

• Leanne Wilkin

what did you use for the fringe detail on the shade?

• Barbara Valenti

I also purchased two lamps from Goodwill. I went there to get two big ornate lamps. I needed them for my Den make over. Well I found two really good shape rewired lamps. Took them hoe and cleaned them up. Got the shades at Goodwill also. The finials on top needed replacing. So I went to Hobby lobby and bought two for 5:00 each. These lamps were 20:00each which I thought was a bargain especially after I priced some online and they were at least 100:00 each. So I was very happy with my purchase. I will get the pics later I promise! Sorry...

• Beverly

I repainted a shiny, dated brass lamp with chalk paint. It took 2 coats & turned out beautifully. I even painted the linen, pleated shade with chalk paint. No signs of previous color at all. I didn't seal afterwards as my lamps don't get a lot of wear & tear. It is absolutely beautiful! My daughter wanted it for her home!