Elaine List
Elaine List
  • Lake Worth, FL
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

What is the easiest way to clean plastic blinds?

WeepnseoulAnnieMarilyn Hill
+8

The slats are very small.

Take them down and wash them in the bathtub
  • Chubby58

Fill your bathtub up with hot water along with some vinegar and dawn. Let them soak overnight. I usually put a large piece of plastic outside and lay each one out to scrub off any excess dirt that didn't come off in the soaking. Hang them on a clothesline or over a fence and rinse them well. Always works for me. Air dry, then you're ready to go.
  • KattywhampusLOL

Hello Elaine List :) Whether just dusty or dirty, the easiet way to clean them off is with a pair of tongs that is wearing a pair of old socks (one sock on each tong) and secured snugly with either rubber bands or tape. Then you can just swipe the slat between the tongs in one long swipe. If you are washing them and it is nice enough for you to hang them outside on a back porch railing or over a clothesline, you can use the tong and sock method with soapy water and then spray them off and let them drip dry (you could do that too in a shower or bath tub but it would be a bit more difficult).
    Thanks for using HOMETALK for answers :)
  • Lin Collins

I take them off and outside, spray them with windex or whatever you like, let them sit a bit and hose them off. If you don't wait too long between doings you won't need to scrub them. Otherwise just use like a kitchen brush where needed.
  • B. Enne

I do the same but lift them a bit to prevent damage/bending, and I use hot water and laundry detergent.
  • Johnavallance82

Baby Wipe wrapped around a stick
  • I used to take down and wash in the bathtub.
  • Marilyn Hill

Take them down ..take them.. outside and lie them on a plastic sheet ..I.use a shower Curtain !
    With a Bucket full of hot soapy water..use your old mop to wash the blinds the way you would your floors...be gentle near the sides as the blind might bend and get damaged
    Rise with.garden hose and hanv tk dry ...i.e. clothes line , fence
    You'll be amazed at how easy and beautifully cleaned your blinds turn out !
    Did I mention ...you need to mop both sides. LOl
  • Annie

I always used zip ties and hung them from a fence or swing set. Dropped down to the full length, twisting wand so they were closed. Used bucket of hot water with general household cleaner, like Mr Clean, wiped them down with a wet rag and hosed them off.
    Let that dry about a half hour and the reversed the tilt of the blinds. Repeat process on other side. FYI...if they're vinyl as opposed to aluminum, they get static. Try wiping with a dryer sheet if that's the case.
  • Weepnseoul

If you want a lazy persons way of doing this, you can take 2 new sponges (from dollar store) cut a slit at end of each, insert the ends of your metal (or hard plastic) tongs into the slits and voila! go to work. do dry clean first, then do a wet clean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5-M8N6aqHE .