Ruth Morgan Feathers
Ruth Morgan Feathers
  • Ooltewah, TN
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

I have a wooden bench made from reclaimed wood and it is oozing sap.

Johnavallance82Ruth Morgan FeathersSharon
+6

What can I do to stop the oozing sap? Stain it? Someone told me to use linseed oil on it will that stop the sap? You can't sit on because the sap will ruin your clothes. This is a special bench made for me by someone very special. I need help in what to do. Thanks.

q i have a wooden bench made from reclaimed wood and it is oozing sap

remove the sap ,clean,and seal with a wood preservative
  • Johnavallance82

You need to put on it Knotting to stop it.
  • Mike Ramsey

Either seal it with a thick lacquer or leave it outside to drain and dry for 6 months or so, then use the linseed oil.
  • Roxaneg

Remove the sap with oil soap or acetone. Then try to seal it with a heat gun. If the wood was never really kiln dried then a heat gun that gets up to 140 degrees F might do the trick. Keep the heat gun moving over the area for 5 minutes. Let any sap harden and crystallize so that you can remove it with a chisel.

Sand and finish as you would like.
  • Sharon

Buy some shellac - there are two types the amber gets orangey with time, the clear is a better color, apply very thin coats. I would use a heat gun or hot hairdryer on it to get as much sap running you can wipe with rags.
    If you are going to paint it get Zinseer B-I-N and prime the wood with it
  • Ruth Morgan Feathers

Thank you so much!
  • Johnavallance82

It's my pleasure........