Pat Kunkle
Pat Kunkle
  • Pinetop, AZ
Asked on Sep 30, 2017

How do you clean an oil painting

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CACynthia HMaxine Waller
+2

I don't know if the painting has a lacquer over the finished product. a cousin found it in her garage and since my mom did it she sent it to me.

• Alyssa

I have an old oil painting from the 1830s that I paid an art conservator to restore, but it was expensive. If you're not afraid to tackle it yourself, there's a line of products from a company called Gainsborough specifically designed for cleaning oil paintings: Neutralizer for lifting surface dust and dirt, Emulsion Cleaner for smoke and deep-set dirt, and Varnish Remover if the varnish has yellowed (not as likely if your mother painted it, since it takes decades for varnish to yellow).
  • Chubby58

Is there a signature on it? Please do some research before you start trying to remove anything. It might be worth something.
  • Maxine Waller

I would take it to a professional

• Cynthia H

If I understood your question, your mom did the the painting? A light dusting with a microfiber cloth should remove surface dirt. If it needs more than that, you might want to get professional advice before tackling the project.
  • Have profesionally cleaned. Why take chances.