Nancy Rion
Nancy Rion
  • Kinder, LA

How can I get black "mold" off my wood deck?

MaryElias LopezBethJixyrocker711
+18

q how can i get black mold off my wood deck

use wet and forget
  • Cindy Hagemann

Pressure wash it and then cut back trees to allow some sun on the stairs to prevent it from happening in the future.
  • Karen Tokarse

Spray with 50/50 Clorox and Water, work in wood with an old broom or brush, then hose off. When the Clorox soaks into the wood, it will hinder the mold from coming back.
  • Fauxgal

We pressure wash our deck with Clorox and water.... Once it is very dry, you can consider sealing it... But we like the natural look.
  • Pat

In Florida we use a gallon of white vinegar to a large bottle of hydrogen peroxide and spray
  • Harold Clayton

a pressure washer will do the trick. However if that’s too expensive..now don’t laugh but easy off oven cleaner should do the trick. I use in the shower on tile, and it’s great for eaning wire window screens
  • Weepnseoul

2X/yr my stepfather would bleach clean the decks, while one of us kids would stand by with hard bristled long broom & scrub. Let it dry, sand it down & treat it with an oil-based wood sealer.
  • Ellis

Wet and Forget should work, and it's not harmful to the wood. You just mix the product with water in a sprayer, spray on, and leave it. You can repeat the process again in a while, according to the instructions on the label. A pressure washer can really damage the wood, so avoid it if you can.
  • Clyde Small

Clorox. Spray it on while trying not to breathe in the fumes. Many people develop chemical pneumonia when using any form of chlorine product including the dry products like Comet for the kitchen sink. Clorox will definitely kill the
    mildew though. Just spray it on, let it work its magic, then wash it off with water.
    Allow it to dry, hopefully in the sun which will also help to kill the mildew.
    We have always used Clorox to keep our motor home, travel trailers etc
    free of mildew, and the wooden trellis keeping the jasmine vines neat gets cleaned twice a year. So far, I think we've probably saved many hundreds of
    dollars by not having to replace rotten wood. Hope this remedy will help you as well. Julia

• Lauren Lund

We've used only a 10% bleach solution. 1 part bleach to 9 parts water in a spray bottle. No need for higher strength with overwhelming fumes. No need to scour. Spray and let dry. Repeat daily until gone.
  • Diana Deiley

Before you purchase Wet & Forget, please read the entire label!
    We use pool chlorine with water. Spray then power wash. Living in Florida we have to wash the exterior of our homes & fences frequently. Works great. Less toxic and very budget friendly. Best of luck.
  • Kay Wormington

Bleach will kill the mildew and mold, you'll need to scrub with a stiff brush, to get it down in the grooves of the wood. We also use it in a pump up sprayer ($7-$10) mixed with water to take mold off of vinyl siding. Let it set a few minutes and rinse well with water.

• Cheryl A

Zep makes a cleaning solution to remove mold from wood decks
  • Lisa S.

Lots of people suggest bleach. Which works. If for some reason you cannot use bleach try 5% white vinegar.
  • Beth

I use nappy soaker, the napisan brand has the same chemicals in it as the super expensive deck cleaner product from the hardware store. Just make a WEAK mix and try it on a sample. Put it on, and using a cloth or sponge rinse off with lots of clean cool water.I did our deck ( 60 m) and our wooden outdoor furniture for about a $1 of nappy soaker. Then you must seal the wood !!I spent money and got the best sealer I could afford. Worked like a charm, and that was 3 years ago, the deck still looks brand new.
  • Ela26544792

It's probably gone into the wood, looks like it anyway, if you can't get rid of it paint of it after sealing it really good.
  • Jixyrocker711

I've heard & read hydrogen peroxide works best killing black mold.

• Beth

Here in australia, we have powdered bleach products in the laundry aisle of the supermarket.Pre soakers for clothes ,etc, in the old days of cloth nappies ( diapers ) they would be used to soak .I used a brand called Cabot's. Water based sealer ,there is an oil based one too. We don' t have snow here but our sunshine wrecks most untreated timber so sealing is the way to go.I found out about this method by googling the chemical in Cabot's deck cleaner.
  • MaryElias Lopez

vinegar should do the trick. also bleach, but you do have to be careful it doesn't get on your clothes, etc, unlike vinegar.