What is the best way to get cat urine smell out of a subfloor?

Johnavallance82Fiddledd224Melissa
+20

After removing the carpet

• Sus25219649

bleach
    • Mary Peasley

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked. He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at.

It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior.

Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :)

Here's a link the their site if you're interested in checking it out.

I hope you guys don't mind me sharing this. Have a wonderful day!

Natures miracle available at pet stores
  • Johnavallance82

Try dosing it with disinfectant...........
  • Christi Peek Wren

You cannot mix bleach with cat urine. Did that once ... chemical reaction bleach + ammonia from cat urine a no no. Paint over it with KILTZ
  • Ebbjdl

Scrub it with hot water and Lestoil full strength. Wear a mask and cover your eyes with glasses. Let it dry and smell it, you might have to do it twice. Good Luck!
  • Robyn Garner

My elderly cat messed on the furniture. I discovered Krud Kutter (HDepot) works great at getting the stench out. Saturate it thoroughly, several times if necessary. If this doesn't do it, you may have to either sand it down or replace those boards.
  • Phil a

Do NOT use ammonia. After having cats for many years, and trying all the other products for this problem, we've found that there is only one product that actually works for us and actually lasts. In fact a friend of ours has many Feral Cats living in his yard and he has used this to spray and eliminate the previously overpowering smell of cat urine around his yard. It's called Fresh n Clean, and used to be sold in PetSmart but no longer is. It's available in Gallon Size on Amazon for less than $30. See it here: https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Clean-Oxy-Strength-Eliminator-1-Gallon/dp/B0006VSGMW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506871883&sr=8-3&keywords=fresh+n+clean+spray
    It uses an Oxy type deodorizer and enzymes to completely eliminate the Uric Crystals that cause the odor. You can use a black light to see the yellow glowing spots on the wall and flooring to locate the spots. If you spray this on a urine spot it will foam up. It won't foam up on non urine spots. It has a pleasant smell and will actually last. Keep blacklighting and spraying until the smells are gone. Just remember, the spots may discolor and still be in the wood floor if the finish was worn off. You can usually use a wood bleach to lighten the stains before refinishing. But, it's the uric crystals you have to get rid of and normal cleaners just won't do it. Good luck. Let us know if you try this and how it works.
  • Susan Vieselmeyer

BacOut
  • Melissa

thank you
  • Fiddledd224

Buy Carpet Fresh for Pets and sprinkle it generously. Let it sit for a few days and sweep/vacuum. If this doesn't work, pour baking soda kitty litter on the floor and do the same thing.
  • Johnavallance82

My pleasure.....