Can I successfully bring in a flowering begonia?

SaralynChilly661

I have 2 flowering begonia plants that have done exceptionally well outside for the summer months. Winter (Minnesota) is just around the corner. Can I bring them in the house and treat them as a house plant or should I let them go dormant (remove from dirt or leave in dirt) and leave them in the garage? Has anyone tried this? Success or failure? Thanks so much...

• Chilly661

Yes you can, I do this every year!! I keep mine in a N facing window & they flower all winter. Such a joy, especially late Jan-Feb when we I am ready for spring to come.
  • Saralyn

Absolutely no problem - they just will not grow as fast but they will be fine. If you keep the heat fairly high inside, you may need to water a litle more frequently because the heat dries them out quickly. I've mainly had all my begonias inside for years because I have found they react strongly to intense, direct sun and that's what they would get outside for me.