Linda Callahan
Linda Callahan
  • Shelton, WA

How do I rejuvenate this cast iron wood stove? Ugh!

Dortha GrishamSharonPet14925457

The stove is our main sorce of heat in winter. It's set into where a fireplace used to be. The lower flat area is filthy. It's also cast iron. I'd like to also learn how to clean (not paint!) the surrounding bricks. TIA!
q how do i rejuvenate this cast iron wood stove ugh
I'm making a new cement face below which will have imprints of leaves frim this local (NW). Then I'm applying a thin tint in the colors of Spring and Fall. Will share that later!
  • Pet14925457

I love those old wood burning stoves , grew up with one. A good way to clean it up is with a liquid (Stove Black).Your hardware store will carry it.Please wear gloves as it will stain your skin, clothing and anything else it touches.It does a great job and will be fine when it is dry.
    • Rose Broadway

Yes, Stove Black is the answer, but my parents also used dry steel wool on the bad places (no soap) before they used the Stove Black. Always looked like new after they finished.
  • Sharon

I had one of these in my fireplace till I took it down last year, it was from the 40s I believe. Has those same type bricks too. Mine was in pretty rough shape when I moved in so I used steel wool on it, wiped it down real good with a tack cloth and use high temp stove black paint, I did not do the top as it was a polished steel, I use stove black on it. It really stunk so I was glad I did this on a day when all the doors and windows were open. Mask off the area surrounding with cardboard and tape. Drop cloth on floor.
    When buying stove black look for the ones with graphite base as they don't wear off as fast and leave a polished look versus flat black.... http://www.galleonfires.co.uk/stovax-traditional-black-grate-polish-graphite/
    Cleaning soot, I would not use water on that brick mine effloresced for a couple years after washing it. It could have been the mortar, but it could also have been the brick exposing salts to the surface.... efflorescence. I would use the new waterless systems now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDLz8CeIh4
    and get on of those fine brass wire brushes to workon stubborn areas.
  • Dortha Grisham

How to clean silver little pot