Donna Phalp
Donna Phalp
  • Ballwin, MO

I used polycrylic to protect my hand painted work ?

ElaineWilliamSharon

I painted a sm dining table w latex. Added acrylic flowers. As atop coat I used polycrylic.
The top looks milky. I spent weeks painting this. Any suggestions?
q i used polycrylic to protect my hand painted work
  • Sharon

Probably was too humid or you put it on too thick in areas, Try running a heat gun at lowest setting over the cloudy areas keeping it moving. You can also try a hair dryer. Otherwise you will have to let it cure for a month and do a rub out with 320/400 grit paper.
    Great job, looks beautiful.
    • TillyBarrett

I'm making $80 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $120 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. Read more this site... Good luck... http://ow.ly/qZwe30fAdf2

I agree with Sharon. Too humid, too thick. If you put on more than one coat not giving time for each coat to fully dry. Heat gun or blow dryer may work. Otherwise you will need to wet sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Clean and dry it. Apply a thin coat of polycrylic. Polycrylic needs to be applied in thin coats. Goes on milky and turns clear when dry. Sometimes needs 4 to 5 hours to dry.
  • Elaine

As an artist myself, I admire your talent and can only imagine your frustration with the cloudy top! I agree with Sharon and William as to the cause and wish you success fixing the problem. It’s a bit of work but in the end, it will be worth it.