Big White Goose
Big White Goose
  • Oregon City, OR

NO SANDING LAYERED LOOK USING CHALK PAINT®BY ANNIE SLOAN

NO SANDING LAYERED LOOK PEOPLE. So here is the thing, you can get this look two ways, layering the paint and then sanding through each layer, or as I was playing around with today and fell in love with, was layering, with large flat brush and chip brush alternatively. My base was French Linen, then Paris Grey, Old Violet, Old White, Provence, Florence. Then dry brushing French Linen and Old White again. This was on a old kitchen door believe or not and not even waxed yet. Tomorrow's job! Now just imagine on an old big Amore or something. Ouuuuu! love the fact I found a way without sanding.Hmmm! may have to introduce this to my Advance Class at the Big White Goose,what do you think?
no sanding layered look using chalk paint by annie sloan, chalk paint, painted furniture
Unwaxed finished kitchen door sample.
Unwaxed finished kitchen door sample.
Finished layers
Finished layers
Base coat French Linen
Base coat French Linen

• Carolyn Lamb

How do you do the layering?

• Millie

What’s a chip brush?

• Janice Giordano

Oh, you can make your own too to make it more affordable...use calcium carbonate tho, check Amazon. Cheap.

• Lu Cee

Why couldn't I dry brush acrylic paint over chalk then wax it?

• Michelle

Acrylic paint isn't as malleable as chalk, it hardens quicker so you'd have to sand to get the desired effect. But with time and patience you could use acrylics to do something, sure. I'd not suggest mixing chalk layer then acrylic layer in the manner described, but, i have in the past used a chalk paint and creates different colours by adding a little acrylic to some poured into different pots, so achieving my own colours to layer, of course if you'd want to replicate or need more that project, you'd need to carefully measure and make note of that.

You can do so many cool things with paint.

• Dina

I’m going to try it

• Lisa B

This is the way I am doing my crates and I love it! Each crate has turned out just a little different but has the same colors involved. Of course, I sanded the crates at the beginning because they were raw. But I didn't have to sand between paint colors. And if I didn't like how a spot turned out, I could either dry brush over it with another color or I could have sanded it down. It was fun and easy! I finished them with matte clear coat made for chalk paint - spray on.

These crates are going in my closet, hanging on the wall in a nook, for my tall boots. I will be adding a shelf (or shelves) in one or 2 for shorter boots. Can't wait to get them finished and hung!! (I started this project almost 3 months ago...!)